JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys been a while but all is well.
So has anyone thought or tried to swap the new 8speed transmission in a jk?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Asking the same question. I was advised to change the whole gear in my 2009 jk since I had some problems with it. So could I upgrade by the way to a newer (used) gear? Maybe 5 automatic gearbox from a 2012 jk?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 JKUR Recon AT 3.73 Rear Diff 2" Lift Borla Exhaust 33" Ridge Grapplers on Fuel Wheels 2013 JKU
98 Posts
Anything can be done with enough time and money; question is, would it be worth the time and expense?

The issues I can think of from the top of my head are:

-Might need a new PCM (ECU) programmed for the newer 8-speed, or need to unlock your PCM so it can be tuned for the 8-speed. The JL/JLU 3.6 Pentastar engines are not identical to the JK/JKU, particularly regarding ESS, E-Torque, and PCM setups.

-Support cross-member for JK/JKU was never designed for the 8-speed. You may need to do some cutting/grinding/welding.

-Transfer Case may not be a direct fit for the 8-speed, so you may need an adapter or just source another transfer case.

At first glance I would say the "juice is not worth the squeeze" unless you are also doing an engine swap and said engine is calibrated for the 8-speed.

Good luck!

Reactions: Nirvosis

·
Registered
2017 JKUR Recon AT 3.73 Rear Diff 2" Lift Borla Exhaust 33" Ridge Grapplers on Fuel Wheels 2013 JKU
98 Posts
Same issue with the 3.8 V6 as far as I know, and I do not think the 3.8 V6 was ever mated to the NAG1 (WA580) 5-speed ? Maybe someone can confirm this.

I do know there has been at least one successful Pentastar 3.6 swap into a 2007-2011 JK/JKU previously running the 3.8 V6.

It would probably be pretty simple to find a complete Pentastar/NAG1/241J or Rubicon transfer case on eBay/LKQ (in North America anyway).

Reactions: Nirvosis

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good to see ya around , @tapcola !
Yeah, jeep is running great been beating the crap out of it for a year or so now between Sand Hollow and logandale we run 8s all day I'm so happy with the way it turned out .

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts