JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well Chrysler just confirmed that the 12' JK will have the Penestar V6 but haven't released the HP/TQ numbers. Also looks like the future JK's will have the new ZF 8 speed transmission:bounce:

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2011/02/zf-automatics-for-v6-first

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/ZF8.html

Also, Expect to see a diesel in the not too distant future. The Fiat Empire just purchased half of VM Motori which is the company that makes the new 3.0L V6 diesel for the 11' Grand Cherokee's. First they have to figure out all of the emissions crap.

http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2011/02/fiat-buys-stake-in-vm-motori

·
Registered
398 Posts
8 speed trans? i dont even use all the 6 i have. it's usually 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th or 6th.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Would sure help with efficiency

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
1st through 4th gear would be "ultra" low crawler ratios. And there would be a bypass switch to take you straight to 4-8 for highway use.

Wait... I'm daydreaming at work.:bawling:

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
That tranny info was an interesting read. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
i think Jeep will wait for the diesel when a new wrangler model is released. they will work on getting emmisions set until then. which can be 4-5 years from now. there will be stricter emmission laws by then.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
1st through 4th gear would be "ultra" low crawler ratios. And there would be a bypass switch to take you straight to 4-8 for highway use.
Wait... I'm daydreaming at work.:bawling:
Chevy did something like this in the mid 80's. My uncle has a 1984 Corvette with the manual... shift 1st thru 4th, hit a switch on the console, then shift 5th thru 7th. They did away with it after 1985 or 1986 when they went to the 6-speed.

·
Registered
150 Posts
face it the wangler we all love is gonna be gone, I went and looked at the interior in the 2012 the other day and yes it's worse then the photos holly liberty!!!
I'm just waiting for the IFS I'm sure it's coming, hell I wouldn't be able to stand my JK stock or modded if I had to drive it as a daily driver.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
face it the wangler we all love is gonna be gone, I went and looked at the interior in the 2012 the other day and yes it's worse then the photos holly liberty!!!
I'm just waiting for the IFS I'm sure it's coming, hell I wouldn't be able to stand my JK stock or modded if I had to drive it as a daily driver.
Jesus christ. Here we go again. Take a look at your damn JK buddy. It's already a damn mini van. I know you think you're hardcore with your JK, but your not. You have a JK.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
People said that about my YJ.
They've said it about every damn jeep that has ever came out after the original flattie is '46. Best part is, most of the people always saying this are first time jeep owners that think their jeep is hardcore and if anyone ever tells them different it's blasphemy.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Chevy did something like this in the mid 80's. My uncle has a 1984 Corvette with the manual... shift 1st thru 4th, hit a switch on the console, then shift 5th thru 7th. They did away with it after 1985 or 1986 when they went to the 6-speed.
You're talking about the Nash 4+3, which was a bit of a nightmare, especially if it needed work done. It was actually a manual 4spd with an OD for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
You're talking about the Nash 4+3, which was a bit of a nightmare, especially if it needed work done. It was actually a manual 4spd with an OD for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.
yup...thats the one. His vette has only 11k miles on it, probably why he hasn't had any problems with it. The thing is like brand new condition, red w/ black interior...classic '80s Corvette

·
Registered
100 Posts
What part the interior is hindering the capability of the Wrangler off-road? If anything, the new interior is more reminiscent of the TJ.

Creature comforts and design changes are what sell vehicles. If Chrysler was still selling the same Wrangler you could buy 20 years ago, they'd be out of business. If Chrysler focused solely on the hardcore wheelers and not soccer moms and yuppie dads, they'd be out of business.

There's no arguing that Chrysler has made some incredibly stupid decisions when it comes to the Wrangler. The 3.8L engine is a joke, I want to strangle the dipshit who thought plastic ball joints were a good idea, and the laughable tranny are just a few items in a litany of what-the-fuck moments. However, despite these flaws, when it comes to capability directly off the lot, the Wrangler keeps getting better and better.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chrysler is holding back on things such as a diesel or Hemi as optional features as a last resort means to keep Jeep above water if things seriously go to shit. Furthermore, no other auto manufacturer has been able to really compete with the Wrangler as an off road vehicle. Hummer tried and failed miserably. Toyota gave it a shot, too. When someone else can best Jeep with a vehicle you can take right off the lot and up a mountain, you might actually see them start to step up to the plate and start making more intelligent strides.

·
Registered
10,296 Posts
Four plus three trans. You had 3 overdrives

·
Registered
320 Posts
<--- Sick and tired of reading online and in magazines about these guys who are all butt hurt because of the leather and heated seats and luxury. People keep saying that a Jeep should only be available in a manual trans, manual windows, no CD player, etc. I think that is completely ignorant and ridiculous. Those people obviously have an extremely narrowminded viewpoint.

Look: we still get the lockers, swaybar discos, solid axles, 4:1 case, etc, etc .... So it's not hurting it's capabilities. What it does is give people who are driving them everyday the ability to feel like they still have a "nice" vehicle. Afterall, they are 35K new. You WANT to spend 35K on something that isn't "nice" at all? I have a Scout I'll sell you for that much, then. It has no doors, no ac, no heat, no top, no NOTHIN. Seems to me like that is the kind of thing these self-righteous "Jeepers" need.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Jesus christ. Here we go again. Take a look at your damn JK buddy. It's already a damn mini van. I know you think you're hardcore with your JK, but your not. You have a JK.
wow just cause I have a jk doesn't mean I haven't had other jeeps and yes your right my jk has no attention at being hardcore :thefinger:

and it's pretty damn funny how one little comment can cause such a bunch of upset... LOL....

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
wow just cause I have a jk doesn't mean I haven't had other jeeps, or talk about my other 4x4's seeing as this is a JK site :thefinger:
Your statement does mean that either you haven't realized how cush the JK is, or you are extremely hypocritical though.

I suppose this makes you a hypocrit.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts