JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some really stupid questions about this newly acquired 6 speed JK. Bare with me here and feel free to laugh with me. It has been a LONG time since I've owned a manual.

Do you guys push the clutch all the way to the floor when you're at a light or just enough to engage it?

Do you short shift it or let it rev out between gears? Rev out as in + 2000 RPMS.

How the HELL am I going to control this thing on the rocks? Should I order a hand throttle?

If you've got any other input I'd like to hear it. I am supposed to have 3.73s with pretty new Rubicon tires and at 70 MPH I'm over 2K RPMs on the highway. 75 is about 2300. Sound right?

I'm really enjoying this thing! I jumped into our Unlimited last night and slammed my foot into the floorboard thinking I had a clutch. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Thats not too far off.. for me (rubi tires and 3.73) at 60 in 6th I'm at 2000 and in 5th I'm at 2200ish.. I think I'm at about 2500 at 75. For whatever reason I always fully engage my clutch..habit mostly.. I rarely see over 3000 rpm.. I drive it like I own it :laughing: so my rev out is at 2000 or lower. Only if i'm getting on a freeway do I "short shift'[ it and keep it between 2500-3200.

If you're in 4lo it changes dramatically, you can't hardly(well ok you can if you really want to) go over 5mph in 1st gear.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Thats not too far off.. for me (rubi tires and 3.73) at 60 in 6th I'm at 2000 and in 5th I'm at 2200ish.. I think I'm at about 2500 at 75. For whatever reason I always fully engage my clutch..habit mostly.. I rarely see over 3000 rpm.. I drive it like I own it :laughing: so my rev out is at 2000 or lower. Only if i'm getting on a freeway do I "short shift'[ it and keep it between 2500-3200.

If you're in 4lo it changes dramatically, you can't hardly(well ok you can if you really want to) go over 5mph in 1st gear.
I agree 100%. Couldn't have said it better myself. :beer::beer:

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I have some really stupid questions about this newly acquired 6 speed JK. Bare with me here and feel free to laugh with me. It has been a LONG time since I've owned a manual.

Do you guys push the clutch all the way to the floor when you're at a light or just enough to engage it? If I'm stopped the clutch is disengaged completely and trans in neutral.

Do you short shift it or let it rev out between gears? Rev out as in + 2000 RPMS. I shift at 3k.

How the HELL am I going to control this thing on the rocks? Should I order a hand throttle? That's part of the fun of owning a manual. The days of your boring automatic are gone.

If you've got any other input I'd like to hear it. I am supposed to have 3.73s with pretty new Rubicon tires and at 70 MPH I'm over 2K RPMs on the highway. 75 is about 2300. Sound right? I have 3.73's but have 35's. Not sure what I'm doing at 75 but it's close to 2300.

I'm really enjoying this thing! I jumped into our Unlimited last night and slammed my foot into the floorboard thinking I had a clutch. :laughing:
Congrats man. Manual is the only way to drive. :beer:

·
Registered
271 Posts
If I'm not changing gears then my foot is off of the clutch! It's a good practice to shift to neutral while sitting at a red light or any time that your not going to be moving for a few seconds or more. The less you push your clutch the longer it's going to last. Sitting at a red light with your foot on the clutch will fastly wear on your throw out bearing, or so I hear:DN Also, you won't run the risk of your foot slipping off the pedal and causing you to hump the car in front of you!

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
I'm not gettin in front of you on the trails. :D

Get in the habit of completely putting the clutch all the way in. You will get used to a short shift on the hwy.

When in 4lo, you will be able to keep your foot off the clutch in 1st. Rev up when going up an obstacle, and just ease off the clutch. First gear feels really low with a stick.

:beer:

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
Come to K2 on Memorial Day and I'll give you some lessons lol. The drive by wire takes some getting used to on the manual, but you'll figure it out.:beer:

·
Registered
13,230 Posts

Do you guys push the clutch all the way to the floor when you're at a light or just enough to engage it?

Do you short shift it or let it rev out between gears? Rev out as in + 2000 RPMS.

How the HELL am I going to control this thing on the rocks? Should I order a hand throttle?

If you've got any other input I'd like to hear it. I am supposed to have 3.73s with pretty new Rubicon tires and at 70 MPH I'm over 2K RPMs on the highway. 75 is about 2300. Sound right?

1) Clutch all the way in, always!
2) I short shift, (4.10s/35s) i shift around town between 1500-1800rpm.
3)Hill assist helps on the rocks, 4:1 Rubi case just makes it SOO much better!

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
When in 4lo, you will be able to keep your foot off the clutch in 1st. Rev up when going up an obstacle, and just ease off the clutch. First gear feels really low with a stick.

:beer:
I don't think his is a Rubicon, or I overlooked that. :beer:

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the input!

I didn't think about this one being drive by wire...is that what is different? I grew up driving manuals its just been a long long while since I had one. This one doesn't feel like the rest. It feels solid and forgiving and there isn't a definite disengage point that I can find.

Another question...hill start assist...how steep does the hill have to be? I was testing it earlier on some hills and it rolled backwards immediately when I let off the brake.

Thanks again guys! I feel like a tool for asking but this seems like a little different animal! I'll keep short shifting it and keeping the RPMs down. I just got back from a drive in Lucy and man was it different. LOL

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Thanks for all of the input!

I didn't think about this one being drive by wire...is that what is different? I grew up driving manuals its just been a long long while since I had one. This one doesn't feel like the rest. It feels solid and forgiving and there isn't a definite disengage point that I can find.

Another question...hill start assist...how steep does the hill have to be? I was testing it earlier on some hills and it rolled backwards immediately when I let off the brake.

Thanks again guys! I feel like a tool for asking but this seems like a little different animal! I'll keep short shifting it and keeping the RPMs down. I just got back from a drive in Lucy and man was it different. LOL
'

Its 7* or so incline for it? I find if i am stopped at a light i can push the brake pedal a decent way down, let off and when you are pushing down on it again, it will immediately be firm = HA is on.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
'

Its 7* or so incline for it? I find if i am stopped at a light i can push the brake pedal a decent way down, let off and when you are pushing down on it again, it will immediately be firm = HA is on.
He he...I'm gonna try this tomorrow! I love new shit! LOL

·
Registered
4,511 Posts
You don't need it, just get accustomed to the drive by wire. When making climb from a stop, hold the break peddle down while letting out the clutch, when you feel the Jeep start to squat, ease over to the stupid peddle and add throttle as needed...don't pounce on it. Just takes some acclimation time.:beer:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You don't need it, just get accustomed to the drive by wire. When making climb from a stop, hold the break peddle down while letting out the clutch, when you feel the Jeep start to squat, ease over to the stupid peddle and add throttle as needed...don't pounce on it. Just takes some acclimation time.:beer:
I just liked the thought that it was there and I was using it to con my wife into learning to drive a stick. LOL!

I'm not gonna roll into anyone personally, but I can forsee the need for a rear stinger if she's gonna drive it. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
also with the 6 speed i have found that in 4lo if you don't touch the gas the jeep will not stall. i have heard that the computer keeps it at 12% throttle and adjusts the spark, so climbing is easy.:beer:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts