JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '07 JK 6 speed w/45k on it. I have the doors/roof off and have occasionally noticed a sound. The sound happens after I release the clutch and before the JK starts moving. It sounds like metal banging into another piece of metal. I have driven a manual trans all my life (30 yrs behind the wheel) so I am comfortable w/a 6 spd. The sound is only happens occasionally. It isn't a loud banging sound but I'm concerned there might be a transmission issue. I just had the 45k service done and the tech said it looked like the throw out bearing might be on the way out. Should I be worried about the noise?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Does the sound only happen when you are on an incline? Could be that pain in the ass brake assist that keeps the bakes on for three second, on a hill, to let you get in gear.

I have a 2010 and it is annoying as hell-- messes with the clutch "feel" for the slight rollback. . . .

Just my NuB two cents. . . .

·
Registered
115 Posts
Same sound in mine when stripped down. 55k now and done it for as long as I can remember. It's a jeep. I get nervous when things quit making noise. :beer:

·
Registered
875 Posts
From your description it sounds like normal chatter from the throw out bearing, mine has done it for quite a while. I think all 6 spd owners have experienced it. You have to remember that the throw out bearings chrysler uses in these jeeps is crap. And they dont offer an aftermarket bearing so were forced to keep buying the factory crap bearing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts