JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

This past Saturday I installed RC's 3.25" lift on my Rubicon, now running 315/70/17's and the Gobi Stealth roof rack. I have two sets of cheapo Wal-Mart 3.5" 55W driving lights on the rack, and they are starting to look a little wimpy to me (though they do provide adequate light for me, personally). I admit they are noisy with the soft top on, where the rack without the lights didn't seem to create a lot of wind noise for me.

I was sort of considering upping to 6" lights, but I'm thinking they will create much more wind noise and resistance. Is anyone running 6" lights on a light bar or roof rack? I'd like some pics and input.

Just FYI, I wired these lights to two switches; one switch powers the outside two, the other powers the inside lights.
Whatever I do with the lights, I will be fabricating a small lip to mount under the lights to reduce the glare on the hood (it's not too bad, however).

Thanks, all.. I'm loving this forum so far!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Have you ever thought about running something with a lower profile? Maybe an LED light bar? I know they are kind of high in price but they put out good lite, are lightwieght, and dont pull to much power?? If you wanted to keep the lights separate you could run multiples. Just a thought

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not too concerned over the light output, as the 4x 3.5" 55w do the trick for me; I really don't need to see a mile away, nor am I powering these for any great length of time. What I'm really looking for is input regarding the wind resistance/noise guys are seeing with 6" lights that high. I've seen a few FJs running 6" lights and they look great up there.

But since you mention it, has anyone seen small LED bulbs inserted in cheap 55W housings?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts