JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone!
I was wondering who went 5w30 oil from 5w20?
if you did,any issues with seals or strange leaks?
I'm using mobil-1 5w20,but now that out here is very hot I would like to go
5w30,what do you think?
THANKS;)

·
Registered
13,229 Posts
Been doing that for 30,000 so far. No issues

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Did it since the start. Understand that the spec of 5w-20 was specified only to raise CAFE numbers for Chrysler. These engines do much better on 5w-30. Less drainback and noise, less oil burning. Do it. :beer:

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Should be no issues whatsoever as the 5w cold rating is same for both. I may do this as well, seems like a smart move in warm/hot climates. These things run hot as blazes anyway.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Just did this 2 days ago. I have 50000 on the jeep and have always ran synthetic 5w20, Just switched to 5w30. Maybe it is just me but it seems quieter with less mechanical noise from the engine. I will see if it uses less oil.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Living in Texas, realistically, what drawbacks would there be to doing this...if any?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that's exactly what I tought.
here in south jersey in the summer get pretty hot,like 98-100*,I think
running 5w30 will be extra protection;I'm also running a SPAL fan with the
aluminum shroud,and trust me that thing is a monster it push almost twice as much air than the stock one,I love it
THANKS EVERYONE.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Definetly slowed the oil consumption on mine. The last 4 oil changes have been with Royal Purple 5w30. Hasn't been short oil yet. Still had the drainback clatter with a K&N oil filter but have since changed to the Carquest brand and it's good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts