JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
3,341 Posts
Beautiful.

I'm not an expert but have been around Chebys for 35 years. The first year for the 283 is 1957. The '55 and '56 V8 option was a 265.

· Registered
6,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you are correct, I typed to quick.

I have the original window sticker for the car so I can double check it later ;)

Unfortunately, it was dads car, he's had it for 25+ years and put less than 100 miles on it in that time (I probably put more on it than him!) and he passed away over the holidays.
So I guess I'm gonna try to sell this one to help mom out.

· Coonasian
1,831 Posts
I don't want to be crass but that thing is worth a small fortune. I hope you don't jump at the first buyer. Sorry about your dad.

· Registered
821 Posts
I don't want to be crass but that thing is worth a small fortune. I hope you don't jump at the first buyer. Sorry about your dad.
Mecum or Barrett Jackson would be the place to sell this beauty. But I wouldn't dare part with it unless you (your mom) absolutly has to.

Also sad to hear about you father. My condolences :th_pray:

· Banned
15,534 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Dad's passing.

That beautiful little Chevy will net you a handsome sale price one day, to be sure. Considering it was your Dad's car, I doubt that will be happening anytime soon. I would keep that one for the occasional Sunday afternoon cruise just to keep it in running condition and a way to reconnect with your old man. Absolutely unheard of to see a 55 chevy with only 31K original miles on it.

Speaking of your Dad, is that the man himself in the background of the first pic?

· R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,961 Posts
The car is beautiful. More importantly sorry about your Father. I'd have a hard time selling it given the circumstances, but completely sensible as well. Either way, sorry for your loss Brother.

· Registered
215 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dad. I know selling the car would be tough, but if you are not using or enjoying the car - it is just deteriorating and costing you money in insurance and real estate.

Auctions are a good way to move the car if you need it sold fast, but the "service" cut is so expensive you will take a hit on the sales price (unless you really luck out and the car goes way past value). I would suggest putting the word out at local clubs, and some old car books. Someone will jump on that car for a great price. The only downside is the market for the 50's cars has really dropped (along with 80% other of collector cars). Don't get in a rush - you just need to find someone who can't live without that car.

· Registered
3,100 Posts
V

Sorry to hear about your dad passing..... That is a tough thing to deal with, at least it was for me.....

I think you will be saddened by the little money these cars are bringing at auction. I attend an auction in Dallas recently and will post a 55 that was (as far as I am concerned, given away.

If your not in a hurry to sell Hotrodhotline is a good place to post something like that for sale.....

· Registered
3,222 Posts
Sorry to hear about your father. Condolences to you and your family.

I had two 55 post's (Bel Air and 210)back when I was young and regret getting rid of them. Neither of mine were anywhere close to the beautiful condition of your dad's car. I have always loved the way the windows have the flip over trim on the hardtops. If you can keep it you should. If it really has to go get the most out of it. They really don't make them like that anymore.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.