JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I recently installed a 50" light bar and knew that I was going to face the apparent "whistling" noise due to the wind flowing over the rear fins of the light bar. Took it for a quick drive after I installed it and people were not joking when they say ear-popping whistling noise that gets worse the faster you go, so I installed three rubber spacers into the fins and that solved that issue.

My question for you now; I have a soft-top JK and because the light bar sticks up higher than the roof of my Jeep there is a pretty strong turbulent flow of air that goes over the light bar and crashes hard onto my soft-top making the soft-top beat like a set of drums. It's literally loud enough that the radio doesn't drown the sound out.

Is anyone familiar with some sort of DIY way, or lip-kit that can attach behind the light bar or to the top of the windshield to break-up that turbulent flow?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I tried all manner of different deflectors and positioning on my setup. I finally gave up and decided that he LED bar was not useful enough to put up with the noise, and I removed it. Good luck.

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
You could put a cover over the light bar to completely shield it from the wind or you could do what I did and put three big zip ties equally spaced apart to minimize the vibration.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Similar situation, different type of vehicle. My buddy was dealing with the incessant whistling of the 50" Rigid SR on his Raptor so he employed a two fold fix. He picked up covers for the light bar and angled the bar slightly down so as to alter the wind dynamics. It's helped some, but its not 100% perfect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts