JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2010 jk with a 5.3 Ls swap using rpm extreme components, Jeep drives and cools fine as a daily driver but 10 min in the trail its getting hot....
What radiator swap or mod had been successful and durable?
I am seeing kits from $ 400-1500.

Also I am running a 5.3 gen 3 & 4l60e and The gearing is so tall it doesn’t even want to pull itself in fourth gear until over 85 miles an hour. My current gearing is 3.21 stock. Dana 30 Solid Front Axle, 3.21 Rear Axle Ratio. Next Gen. Dana 44 HD Rear Axle...
curious for any advice on how drastic I should go with the gearing to make up the difference. My research has brought me to 4.56 or more.

·
Registered
8,404 Posts
Rule of thumb has been that the stock radiator should be enough for a 5.3. Are the fans kicking on? Running stock thermostat?

All of the LS swap kit manufacturers have their own aftermarket radiators. C&R and Ron Davis do as well. There is a slew of others but those are probably regarded as the best.

You can add a hood or louvers to let engine bay heat out as well.

For gears, it would be helpful to know what size tires you are running?

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
We would need to know several things to help you out on the cooling situation:

- what is your thermostat open temperature?
- what fan are you running? What is the programming for the fan? What temperature is it set to come on? Does it run at variable speeds?
- Which coolant expansion tank are you running? If aftermarket, what is the capacity?
- What type of coolant are you running?
- Are you running accessories that block flow to or divert flow from the radiator. Winch, lightbars, bumper, power steering or trans coolers? Grille inserts?

You may have problems that can be fixed without having to spend major $$$ on new parts.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.