JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to make the jump from stock wheels/tires to aftermarket. Running a 2016 JKU all stock suspension. It's a daily driver for my 8-5 and my chariot in the rocky mountains on the weekend.

I want to run 285/70r17 Duratracs on 17"x8.5" wheels with 5.2" backspacing and I want to avoid wheel spacers. My reading has told me that I will not rub the suspension, sway bar, etc - however, apparently I will have the clearance I need by a very small margin with 5.2" backspacing and I need certainty that this wont be problematic before i start shelling out the $.

Is anyone currently running this set up? Thoughts? Advise? Much appreciated!

·
Registered
388 Posts
that tire size comes out to just under 33" I think you will be totally fine with 33" tires and 5.2" backspacing.

although personally i'd recommend going with a 4.5" backspaced wheel as it will allow you to install taller tires later if you want. everyone is happy with their tire choice for a few months, but it's pretty common for people to upsize tires later...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes - I like the way my stock wheels look so I was leaning towards Quadratec Moabs (apparently I can't post a link because I'm a new member...?)

Either way, it's 17x8.5 with 5.2 BS

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I run aev Salta with those specs and run Toyo 35/12.5-17 and no rubbing I like 5.2" bs.l of of guys running 37s on aev rims.

@Jadmt - are you running stock suspension without a lift? Any wheel spacers? Ideally I want to keep everything OEM for now (besides the wheels and tires, of course)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No spacers but a 3" lift. You won't be running with stock suspension with 35's without rubbing.
Agreed - I'm trying to run 285/70r17 duratracs though (33"), it's a commuter so I need the MPG and I don't want to regear.

Research tells me that if I run 285/70r17 with 5.2" backspacing then I can keep everything else stock without rubbing the internal components or the OEM fenders. Some have told me this theory is right, and some have told me it's wrong...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took it to the local 4x4 shop. The experts say I'm clear if I have 4.75 backspacing or less. Just ordered the Mamba MR1Xs. Thanks to all for the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts