JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
5.13s, 1,000lb trailer, 6sp... 35"s or bigger?

The wife and I want to build our JKX into an overland expedition capable rig that can haul our family, gear and up to a weeks worth of supplies with an off road trailer... or SeaDoo / ATVs on shorter trips.

My family weighs 550lbs and the loaded trailer should be around 1,000LBs.

The '07 is a 6speed hard top (will be insulated) with a winch bumper up front, recovery gear, hi lift, fiberglass handled axe/shovel, large fire extinguisher, back seat, with C02, side and belly armor to be installed soon. I also plan to run a TJ tank mounted in the rear as an auxiliary (+18gal). My family weighs about 550lbs with the dog. I will be running field serviceable wheels so I don't need a carrier, just spare rubber.

The JK will be seeing DD use with a 4 mile round trip on week days.

The plan was for 37"s so I already have a sleeved/gusseted/locked D30 with 5.13's awaiting install. I am thinking that even in the true 35"-36" range the 5.13s might be perfect for towing that weight.

Please share your thoughts about what tire size I could spin comfortably with 5.13s and a trailer, as well as pros/cons of a WD hitch at this level.

· Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
C'mon... BUMP.

All the bench racing around here and no one can opine as to weather the 35-36" will leave me with a little more umph for pulling?

· Premium Member
1,661 Posts
A 37 actually measures out most, 35.5" when mounted and under your rig.

We did a trip in summer '11 with our 4 dr, with an AEV lift (stiffer, progressive rate springs) through the Rocky Mountains, fully loaded, pulling a 3500 lbs loaded trailer. It did fine with the 6 speed, 5.13s and 37s, with a Superchips Flashpaq towing tune.

On mountain passes, we had to use 4th gear at times. We did most of it in 5th gear. 6th was only good on flat land. We didn't exceed 70 mph very often.

You will be able to use 6th more than us because you'll be pulling 2500 lbs lighter than us.

· Registered
392 Posts
The wife and I want to build our JKX into an overland expedition capable rig that can haul our family, gear and up to a weeks worth of supplies with an off road trailer... or SeaDoo / ATVs on shorter trips.

My family weighs 550lbs and the loaded trailer should be around 1,000LBs.

The '07 is a 6speed hard top (will be insulated) with a winch bumper up front, recovery gear, hi lift, fiberglass handled axe/shovel, large fire extinguisher, back seat, with C02, side and belly armor to be installed soon. I also plan to run a TJ tank mounted in the rear as an auxiliary (+18gal). My family weighs about 550lbs with the dog. I will be running field serviceable wheels so I don't need a carrier, just spare rubber.

The JK will be seeing DD use with a 4 mile round trip on week days.

The plan was for 37"s so I already have a sleeved/gusseted/locked D30 with 5.13's awaiting install. I am thinking that even in the true 35"-36" range the 5.13s might be perfect for towing that weight.

Please share your thoughts about what tire size I could spin comfortably with 5.13s and a trailer, as well as pros/cons of a WD hitch at this level.
Would be cool to see a write up on the auxilary tank. Do you use a transfer pump?

· Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rob- This is covered on a thread here started by JSS using a tj pump and lines, and a JSS skid plate. not sure if im going to do a tramsfer pump or selector valve.

· Registered
744 Posts
:) Heh Heh, even though I use an auto tranny, your 5.13s will be great for towing-and superb off-road

I run 5.38s/33.2" Hankooks/1000 lb trailer (Tentrax) and it is great-2600 rpm at 70 mph and mileage at 14.9mpg when towing

My '08 JKUR weighs close to 3 tons when loaded for a trek and that will bring GVW/w trailer close to 7000lbs--no problemo, especially off-road hills/climbs-

Good luck/w the 5'13s, I'd recommend Yukons !

:koolaid::koolaid: JIMBO

· Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The rear IS getting Yukons, open diff with factory shafts. D30 is used, chromo'd and reinforced with a Spartan...

Thanks for the input- were spending our XJ money on beefing up our JK to tow the eventual trailer... were excited.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.