JKOwners Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

· Registered
1,018 Posts
I was using my torque wrench to torque beadlock ring bolts to 20 ft. pounds. I (and the beadlock company who'd built the wheel) didn't know that the bolts were bottoming on the wheel so were acting like jack screws, pushing the welded ring out. The weld parted and the whole assembly blew out, almost tearing off one of my fingers, breaking both my hands in a number of places and my left knee. During recuperation, I contracted RSD/CRPS so won't be healing back to normal.
Damn.... :( that really sucks Phil. Well at least you're making the best of it and getting back on the horse (as it were ;) )

About the spare tire bracket. Is that a production item or a one off thing? Can it be ordered by mere mortals vs. only mighty magazine power moguls? :laughing: :p ;)

· Registered
135 Posts
I was using my torque wrench to torque beadlock ring bolts to 20 ft. pounds. I (and the beadlock company who'd built the wheel) didn't know that the bolts were bottoming on the wheel so were acting like jack screws, pushing the welded ring out. The weld parted and the whole assembly blew out, almost tearing off one of my fingers, breaking both my hands in a number of places and my left knee. During recuperation, I contracted RSD/CRPS so won't be healing back to normal.
Sorry to hear that. I read that article. That was pretty scary, and something I would never have thought of.

BTW, the build looks great. Thanks for sharing it with us!

peter

· Registered
41 Posts
I was using my torque wrench to torque beadlock ring bolts when the ring blew off. Recovery has been a long process.

Edited for length and so I don't sound like I'm whining.
Phil,
Here's to a quick and complete recovery. I've been reading your work for as long as I can remember, over several publications. Thanks for your common sense approach to our sport. I was really happy with the mag under Kevin McNulty, but am confident you'll keep 4wdSU's standards high (including the adventure articles and real-world rigs (like the Samurai on 31's).

Ok, enough brown-nosing, I'm done.:D

· Registered
37 Posts
I hope project dual sport is still around:bounce: gotta love the 2 doors.
Burke - You're looking at Project DualSport's matamorphosis. Here's part of the explanation you'll see in the September issue of 4WD&SU magazine:

"We really like the looks and performance of our 2-door JK. Unfortunately, the one drawback is rear access. The JK is a step backward from the TJ when it comes to front seats folding and tumbling forward. Because of my accident and resulting muscle atrophy that goes with RSD/CRPS, it’s impossible for me to get at my camera equipment behind the seat and lift it out of there quickly. Because of this, Project DualSport is metamorphosing into a silver 4-door Unlimited that will allow much easier access to equipment in the back."

I really liked my 2-door. I think this Unlimited will work better with things being as they are.

Phil,
Here's to a quick and complete recovery. I've been reading your work for as long as I can remember, over several publications. Thanks for your common sense approach to our sport. I was really happy with the mag under Kevin McNulty, but am confident you'll keep 4wdSU's standards high (including the adventure articles and real-world rigs (like the Samurai on 31's).

Ok, enough brown-nosing, I'm done.:D
Thanks, mizedog. Brown-nosing is always welcome.
:D

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
more pics. We are waiting for the new front axle from Currie. The front fender flares from Xenon are installed and we are working on the rears. We are installing the Rubicon Rock Track Transfer Case tomorrow. Hopefullt the drive shafts will be here from JE Reel tomorrow. The Jeep should fit the 40's easily.

Attachments

· Registered
611 Posts
more pics. We are waiting for the new front axle from Currie. The front fender flares from Xenon are installed and we are working on the rears. We are installing the Rubicon Rock Track Transfer Case tomorrow. Hopefullt the drive shafts will be here from JE Reel tomorrow. The Jeep should fit the 40's easily.
Holy crap. My Jeep is developing an inferiority complex. Nice ride Phil. :D

· Registered
37 Posts
Holy crap. My Jeep is developing an inferiority complex. Nice ride Phil. :D
Thanks, skibum.

Before anyone comments, the front right flare is sagging because it's not bolted on all the way. Mount Logan is waiting for another flare support piece to arrive from Xenon. I like the narrow Xenon flat panel flares that PhilD installed, but the extra width of the Rock Jock 60s and the 14.50 tires called for these.

It's amazing that we have this much clearance with 40" tires and only 4" coils.

· Registered
798 Posts
Thanks, skibum.

Before anyone comments, the front right flare is sagging because it's not bolted on all the way. Mount Logan is waiting for another flare support piece to arrive from Xenon. I like the narrow Xenon flat panel flares that PhilD installed, but the extra width of the Rock Jock 60s and the 14.50 tires called for these.

It's amazing that we have this much clearance with 40" tires and only 4" coils.
Hey Phil.
I really like the Warn PowerPlant, however, it really seems to interfere with air flow, especially when not mounted in an extremely recessed JK bumper. Your thoughts?
The rig is looking great! In your words: "YeeeHaaaa"

· Registered
37 Posts
Hey Phil.
I really like the Warn PowerPlant, however, it really seems to interfere with air flow, especially when not mounted in an extremely recessed JK bumper. Your thoughts?
The rig is looking great! In your words: "YeeeHaaaa"
I agree that the PowerPlant is BIG, but I've used them on a number of Jeeps now and have had no cooling issues. We have one on the Old School YJ project that has a Hemi in it and a bumper that's not recessed at all and have had no problems.

· Registered
798 Posts
I agree that the PowerPlant is BIG, but I've used them on a number of Jeeps now and have had no cooling issues. We have one on the Old School YJ project that has a Hemi in it and a bumper that's not recessed at all and have had no problems.
Good to know.
Was always a concern to me when seeing them but have never heard a negative comment about cooling after installing this unit. Thanks for the feedback.

· Registered
371 Posts
Good to know.
Was always a concern to me when seeing them but have never heard a negative comment about cooling after installing this unit. Thanks for the feedback.
If you go to Warn's website, they explain in a fair amount of detail how they built the power plant with airflow in mind - with several vents to allow air to flow through as much as possible. I haven't heard of anyone having any problems with cooling with these installed yet either.

· Registered
37 Posts
Phil,

Great build. looks great. I have the Je reel drive shafts HD on my Rubi and i'm planning to stuff Currie's dana 60s. did you have to do any modifications to the drive shafts?

thanks for your help.
The Currie RockJocks are high pinion and much larger, so f&r driveshaft lengths need to be modified. I don't know what yokes you're using, but Currie can supply diff yokes to match whatever you already have on the end of your shafts. I'm using 1350s on both front and rear driveshafts.

Build is looking great. I love the magazine too. :beer:
Thanks!

21 - 40 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.