JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Why am I not building my own Jeep? Since my beadlock accident, I have trouble bending my left leg and holding on to things, making wrenching a difficult proposition. My friends have a good time handing me a wrench, then watching as it falls out of my hand because I can't grip it tightly. I'm lucky to have a shop the caliber of Mount Logan Off-Road a few miles from home/office. They've done a lot of other work for me that has appeared both in Off-Road and 4 Wheel Drive & Sport Utility Magazine.

Oh - there have been three changes to this. We're going to be running 40x14.50R17LT BFGoodrich KM2 Mud Terrains on this, not the 37's originally planned, and Xenon flat panel flares. The major change is that we're going to a Currie 1-ton Rock Jock frontend with 5x5 5 1/2 bolt pattern and 5.38 gears front and rear. We'll be keeping the Detroit Lockers. The Currie Rock Jock with factory Rubicon knuckles, 5x5 bolt pattern and hardened axles would have worked well with the 37" tires originally planned, but the change to 40" tires upped the ante and the extra strength of the 1-ton frontend is necessary.

Photos are coming soon.

Of course, these projects will also be appearing in 4 Wheel Drive & Sport Utility Magazine (shameless plug).

· Registered
37 Posts
Yeah, Utah is strict about mud flaps on every modified vehicle. Those are Teraflex units that remove with the pull of a pin.

· Registered
37 Posts
Very cool build so far :smokin:

Whats the story with the tire carrier? Thats pretty interesting looking.
Kevin Hawkins fabricated it to hold the spare and it has two sets of holes for the studs (bolts). Three are for a 35" spare and three are for a 37" spare. I usually like to carry a 35" spare, as I will with the 40" KM2 tires. The carrier is strong and holds the spare tight against the Jeep. We also put a CB antenna mount on top and an LED third brake light in the middle.

· Registered
37 Posts
Jeep is going to be nice man....cheers.....

Care to explain what a "beadlock accident" is?
I was using my torque wrench to torque beadlock ring bolts when the ring blew off. Recovery has been a long process.

Edited for length and so I don't sound like I'm whining.

I also edited the second half of the quote because I forgot the little detail of the the change from a Currie Rock Jock frontend with Rubicon outers and 5x5 bolt pattern to a 1-ton Rock Jock with HD axles and 5x5 1/2 bolt pattern. We need the extra strength to run the 40s.

· Registered
37 Posts
I hope project dual sport is still around:bounce: gotta love the 2 doors.
Burke - You're looking at Project DualSport's matamorphosis. Here's part of the explanation you'll see in the September issue of 4WD&SU magazine:

"We really like the looks and performance of our 2-door JK. Unfortunately, the one drawback is rear access. The JK is a step backward from the TJ when it comes to front seats folding and tumbling forward. Because of my accident and resulting muscle atrophy that goes with RSD/CRPS, it’s impossible for me to get at my camera equipment behind the seat and lift it out of there quickly. Because of this, Project DualSport is metamorphosing into a silver 4-door Unlimited that will allow much easier access to equipment in the back."

I really liked my 2-door. I think this Unlimited will work better with things being as they are.

Phil,
Here's to a quick and complete recovery. I've been reading your work for as long as I can remember, over several publications. Thanks for your common sense approach to our sport. I was really happy with the mag under Kevin McNulty, but am confident you'll keep 4wdSU's standards high (including the adventure articles and real-world rigs (like the Samurai on 31's).

Ok, enough brown-nosing, I'm done.:D
Thanks, mizedog. Brown-nosing is always welcome.
:D

· Registered
37 Posts
Holy crap. My Jeep is developing an inferiority complex. Nice ride Phil. :D
Thanks, skibum.

Before anyone comments, the front right flare is sagging because it's not bolted on all the way. Mount Logan is waiting for another flare support piece to arrive from Xenon. I like the narrow Xenon flat panel flares that PhilD installed, but the extra width of the Rock Jock 60s and the 14.50 tires called for these.

It's amazing that we have this much clearance with 40" tires and only 4" coils.

· Registered
37 Posts
Hey Phil.
I really like the Warn PowerPlant, however, it really seems to interfere with air flow, especially when not mounted in an extremely recessed JK bumper. Your thoughts?
The rig is looking great! In your words: "YeeeHaaaa"
I agree that the PowerPlant is BIG, but I've used them on a number of Jeeps now and have had no cooling issues. We have one on the Old School YJ project that has a Hemi in it and a bumper that's not recessed at all and have had no problems.

· Registered
37 Posts
Phil,

Great build. looks great. I have the Je reel drive shafts HD on my Rubi and i'm planning to stuff Currie's dana 60s. did you have to do any modifications to the drive shafts?

thanks for your help.
The Currie RockJocks are high pinion and much larger, so f&r driveshaft lengths need to be modified. I don't know what yokes you're using, but Currie can supply diff yokes to match whatever you already have on the end of your shafts. I'm using 1350s on both front and rear driveshafts.

Build is looking great. I love the magazine too. :beer:
Thanks!

· Registered
37 Posts
I am in the process of building a JK and am impressed with the build thus far but I have a couple of questions for you.

With so many lift kit options on the market what were the attributes of the Poly Performance Stage III Synergy lift kit that made you choose this particular set up?

Bead locks and 40 inch tires will be phenomenal off-Road but what do you think the driving will be like on the highway or just getting to the trail for that matter. Do you think you will be able to balance that combination and have a pleasant, relaxed black top experience? I have a 45 Willys MB with 37" Boggers on beadlocks and just getting to the trail is an adrenalin rush, I also have an 06 LJ with 35" KM2s with Staun beadlocks. They took some balancing but are now very comfortable on the highway and fantastic off-road.

I would like the same combination as you have chosen so will be interested to learn how good your choice is for all around use.
You're right - there are many suspension systems on the market and some of them are excellent. I went with Poly Performance because of the total adjustability of all control arms, track bars, drag link, and tie rod while they're still on the JK (although I had to use a Currie tie rod with the new one-ton Rock Jock). This makes dialing the suspension in soooo easy. I also like the fact that the Poly crew took a lot of time working on coil rates and shock valving to get things right.

The Walker Evans beadlocks are cast as beadlocks and are strong and true. The 40" BFG KM2s take very little weight to balance. I'm not sure how living with the 40" tires on a daily driver will be. In fact, because of time constraints, we've put the 37s back on for the initial run to Moab this week (we ran out of time and want to do some careful rear wheelwell sheetmetal trimming). I can report, though, that Mount Logan has built a couple of other JKs with 40" tires and the owners of those Jeeps use them daily and are happy.

The JK looks a bit goofy with the wide Xenon flares and 37s on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.