JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are building this Jeep JK for Phil Howell of 4 Wheel Drive & Sport Utility Magazine. Phil has a ton of experience with Jeep and with the parts that the aftermarket suppliers have to offer. In building this JK, Phil has selected parts from the most reputable manufacturers that are tried and proven. Phil's new Jeep JK is a 4 door Sahara with an auto trans. The build will be done as outlined below. As you all know there are more reputable manufacturers than we can use on one Jeep build. We will be building another Jeep JK project in the near future using some of the other manufacturers parts. Watch for the coverage of that build here at JKOwners.com

Suspension
Poly Performance Stage III Synergy lift kit
Fox Adjustable Shocks with Poly Performance Valving
Currie Anti Rock Sway Bars will be used front and rear

Drivetrain
Currie Enterprises Rock Jock Dana 60 Axles with Stock Outers, 5 on 5 bolt pattern, locking hubs, chro moly axle shafts with ctm u-joints. Detroit Lockers are used front and rear.
A Rock Track Transfer Case from a Rubicon JK is being supplied by JB Conversions.
JE Reel Drive Shafts with 1350 U-joints will be used front and rear.

Tires and Wheels
17" Walker Evans Racing beadlocks
37x12.50r17 BFGoodrich KM2

Body Protection
Warn Power Plant Winch
Kilby Enterprises exhaust skid plate and evap canister relocation kit
Hanson Enterprises stubby front bumper and rear bumper.
Factory Rubicon Sliders will be used for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Damn those are hideous! Please ship to Manassas VA...thank you... :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Why am I not building my own Jeep? Since my beadlock accident, I have trouble bending my left leg and holding on to things, making wrenching a difficult proposition. My friends have a good time handing me a wrench, then watching as it falls out of my hand because I can't grip it tightly. I'm lucky to have a shop the caliber of Mount Logan Off-Road a few miles from home/office. They've done a lot of other work for me that has appeared both in Off-Road and 4 Wheel Drive & Sport Utility Magazine.

Oh - there have been three changes to this. We're going to be running 40x14.50R17LT BFGoodrich KM2 Mud Terrains on this, not the 37's originally planned, and Xenon flat panel flares. The major change is that we're going to a Currie 1-ton Rock Jock frontend with 5x5 5 1/2 bolt pattern and 5.38 gears front and rear. We'll be keeping the Detroit Lockers. The Currie Rock Jock with factory Rubicon knuckles, 5x5 bolt pattern and hardened axles would have worked well with the 37" tires originally planned, but the change to 40" tires upped the ante and the extra strength of the 1-ton frontend is necessary.

Photos are coming soon.

Of course, these projects will also be appearing in 4 Wheel Drive & Sport Utility Magazine (shameless plug).

·
Registered
900 Posts
Love the red one...............looks like mine. :D Have you guys figured out a way to make beadlocks out of the stock Moabs? It sure looks like it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We will be installing Xenon Flat Fender Flares today, we are waiting on a Rock Track transfer case from JB Conversions, Steering Assist from PSC, and Drive Lines from JE Reel. We will keep you posted as those parts show up. We will be starting the Ultimate Adventure Jeep JK for BFGoodrich in the next few weeks and will do a build up of that one as well.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Awesome!! Love the updates!! Keep them coming!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Why am I not building my own Jeep? Since my beadlock accident, I have trouble bending my left leg and holding on to things, making wrenching a difficult proposition. My friends have a good time handing me a wrench, then watching as it falls out of my hand because I can't grip it tightly. I'm lucky to have a shop the caliber of Mount Logan Off-Road a few miles from home/office. They've done a lot of other work for me that has appeared both in Off-Road and 4 Wheel Drive & Sport Utility Magazine.

Oh - there have been two changes. I'm going to be running 40x14.50R17LT BFGoodrich KM2 Mud Terrains on this, not the 37's originally planned, and Xenon flat panel flares.

Of course, these projects will also be appearing in 4 Wheel Drive & Sport Utility Magazine (shameless plug).

Jeep is going to be nice man....cheers.....

Care to explain what a "beadlock accident" is?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yeah, Utah is strict about mud flaps on every modified vehicle. Those are Teraflex units that remove with the pull of a pin.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Very cool build so far :smokin:

Whats the story with the tire carrier? Thats pretty interesting looking.
Kevin Hawkins fabricated it to hold the spare and it has two sets of holes for the studs (bolts). Three are for a 35" spare and three are for a 37" spare. I usually like to carry a 35" spare, as I will with the 40" KM2 tires. The carrier is strong and holds the spare tight against the Jeep. We also put a CB antenna mount on top and an LED third brake light in the middle.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Jeep is going to be nice man....cheers.....

Care to explain what a "beadlock accident" is?
I was using my torque wrench to torque beadlock ring bolts when the ring blew off. Recovery has been a long process.

Edited for length and so I don't sound like I'm whining.

I also edited the second half of the quote because I forgot the little detail of the the change from a Currie Rock Jock frontend with Rubicon outers and 5x5 bolt pattern to a 1-ton Rock Jock with HD axles and 5x5 1/2 bolt pattern. We need the extra strength to run the 40s.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts