JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Abaout a couple of weeks ago I took of my front drive shaft to see if I get better gas miliage without it, anyway I haven't had time to put it back again but anyway today for some reason I grabbed the $WD shifter and realized that is loose, it shifts or moves but it doesn't actually shifts, I checked the end of the cable by the transfer case and it looks fine, but I haven't had time to check it by the shufter, any ideas of what this could be?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess that might be the issue, I just got one of the guys that work with me to shift while I was underneath the jeep and the cable didn't move at all, I pulled the cable by hand and he aid no shifter movent but he could hear some kind of sound, what is it involved to removed the shifter console?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
4 torx screws. Two in the front & 2 in the back of the console.

Take em out & lift the console enough to get at the side of the TC shifter. Can't miss it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I apreciate that man, are the screws that are on the side of the console the ones that you are talking about?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Abaout a couple of weeks ago I took of my front drive shaft to see if I get better gas miliage without it, anyway I haven't had time to put it back again but anyway today for some reason I grabbed the $WD shifter and realized that is loose, it shifts or moves but it doesn't actually shifts, I checked the end of the cable by the transfer case and it looks fine, but I haven't had time to check it by the shufter, any ideas of what this could be?
So did you get better gas mileage or what?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So did you get better gas mileage or what?
To be honest I didn't noticed much difference, it was a little improvement, since I drive 60 miles a day in the highway, but for the time involved and back pain that I've got taking it off, it wasn't worth it, I'm putting it back this weekend and believe me that bitch is stayin there until I get rid of the jeep lol :shaking:

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
To be honest I didn't noticed much difference, :shaking:
X2 on that. I ran with no front shaft for a couple of months and tracked the numbers. Not really any difference that I could tell. Woulldn't you know it, the one time I have no front shaft we got the only ice storm of the year in Dallas. Took 2 hours to go 15 miles on the hwy.

Let us know what you find with the shifter.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
X2 on that. I ran with no front shaft for a couple of months and tracked the numbers. Not really any difference that I could tell. Woulldn't you know it, the one time I have no front shaft we got the only ice storm of the year in Dallas. Took 2 hours to go 15 miles on the hwy.

Let us know what you find with the shifter.
That's what I was thinking, the time I have no front shaft I'm gonna need the 4WD, so right now I'm getting it re balanced, since is out might as well, and will be back in it's place tomorrow, on the shifter just like SOCOTTROCK said, there's a plastic bushing that holds the cable in place, I'm not sure if it's the same as the one by the Tcase 'cause I only found small pieces of it, but it looks like the same system, so I'm going to try to use the same one since I have few spares and the parts dept. at the dealer can't figure out the parts number and tells you that you need the whole cable :pissed:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts