JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have 4th gear issues - popping out of gear and grinding? I traded my 2014 jk for a 2016 jku and my 4th gear grinds a few times a day.

I found a thread from 2012 that is the exact same problem, but I haven't seen anything more recent.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The friend I bought my '13 JKU from said it was grinding and/or hanging up in 4th right after he bought it. Took it to the dealer, they "fixed" it, and now it will pop out of 4th and grind if I don't keep pressure on the shifter while releasing the clutch.

It also rattles in 4th, and the only thing that will make it stop is pressing down (toward the floor) on the shifter.

I'm taking the Jeep in to the dealer for service this week (trying to maintain my 100k drivetrain warranty...), I'll have them take a look at it and will post up what they say.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yup I have the same problem. Mine will pop out and grind in 4th ever so often. I am hoping when I swap the front axle and move up to 4.88's with lockers it cures this problem and it's not a transmission deal.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Yup I have the same problem. Mine will pop out and grind in 4th ever so often. I am hoping when I swap the front axle and move up to 4.88's with lockers it cures this problem and it's not a transmission deal.
If it is grinding and popping out of gear, an axle swap isn't going to fix the issue.

Probably a transmission issue. Small chance it's an issue with the shift linkage, but that's grasping a bit. A grinding and popping out of gear issue is only going to get worse as things wear.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If it is grinding and popping out of gear, an axle swap isn't going to fix the issue.

Probably a transmission issue. Small chance it's an issue with the shift linkage, but that's grasping a bit. A grinding and popping out of gear issue is only going to get worse as things wear.
Yeah that's what I'm afraid of :(. oh well will just be an excuse for me to upgrade to an atlas II after my warranty if I can't get it replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Small chance it's an issue with the shift linkage, but that's grasping a bit.
Yea I think that was mentioned once on the old forum.

I've brought it to three dealerships. The first said they noticed the problem but aren't sure how to fix it, "so come back later when it gets worst." The second dealership noticed it once, but said it was probably driver error on their end. The third said they didn't notice it at all. Ugh.

It happens when you gently shift into 4th gear, but not every time. But I can recreate it every few shifts and plan on taking the service manager for a drive to demonstrate it this weekend. I also called corporate to have this documented. Never happened once in my 2014.

·
Super Moderator
6,194 Posts
there's been a documented issue with some JKUs from '09-'11 where I recall the outer shift boot being torn or pinched from lifting Jeep or body.
Maybe look at one of the forum talks on this subject from a few years back may be interesting or of use.

dunno if it helps or not but check that outter boot on your shifter,possibly?:jeep2:

do you know that google search engine crawling for 3-4 words such-as" Jeep JK Pop Out of Gear" and using the crawler operator of this site dns name ," jkowners.com " seperated by a colon like this "Jeep JK Pops Out of Gear:jkowners.com"will search only this websites data .:smile2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts