JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
4dr Linex prep, console removal, rear seat removal

the center console comes out so easy, put the transfer case in 4hi, pull the emergency brake all the way up, put a 5/8'ths wrench under the transfer case shifter and hit it up with a hammer to pop the handle off, next pry off the console bezel or surround, its the black part that contains the cup holders and surrounds the transfer case shifter, open the storage compartment and pry it up from the front edge, it just unsnaps from the console

next take out the 4 torx screws, two on each side, see pics below
rear screw in the center on the pic

then the front screw

now you can lift the console off from the rear

the rear seats on the 4dr have a ton of red locktite holding then on, they only get torqued to 55lbs, remove all the front leg screws completely then you can flip the legs up and the bottom of the seat back so you can get to the bolts on the angle :crazyeyes: you need at least a 6in extension, 10in worked better, there are also 2 nuts on the rear of the seats you can get after the angle ones by flipping seat forward, and one that holds the center seat belts. there are also two nuts you have to remove on the side of the drivers side rear that hold the two seats together.

rear seat legs

folded up

bolt hole

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
only way to get to that bolt is having the seat flipped up

the 2 nuts holding the 2 sections of the rear seats together

the console in the 2 pieces it comes out in

the plastic trim at the kicker panels comes off easy, if you use the trim removal tool like I show in first pic you can get them off without breaking and reuse them

I took out the sound deadening material with a chisel and hammer, went a lot easier then I thought, takes time maybe 1.5-2hrs for all of it, I think it looks a lot better without it. I've had the carpets out over a year and compared to the carpet out with sound deadener vs just the line x I think its as quiet if not quieter and havent noticed it being hotter either, I actually think its cooler, I've had my sneaker burning hot before and I was able to drive barefoot with the linex and not be burning foot.

here is link to more pics of it done http://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11205

A

·
0 Posts
I am starting on mine tonight actually, i don't know how much i am going to take out, i am going to play it by ear..
I did mine (with truck bed liner) without taking anything other than the plastic around the doors. I didn’t bother masking either but I'm pretty good with a paint brush.

If I did it again I'd take the seats out just to make it easier.

·
Vendor
2,531 Posts
I did mine (with truck bed liner) without taking anything other than the plastic around the doors. I didn’t bother masking either but I'm pretty good with a paint brush.

If I did it again I'd take the seats out just to make it easier.
Guess who got air tools on Friday:D

I think i am going to pull the front seats tonight, sand and blow it out and start painting tomorrow,

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guess who got air tools on Friday:D

I think i am going to pull the front seats tonight, sand and blow it out and start painting tomorrow,
you got air tools you should have all the seats out in 30 min tops :thefinger::laughing: 45mins total to have the console and plastic door trim out too

·
Registered
43 Posts
Since I have my doors off at the moment, and never put the carpets back in, I was thinking about pulling the trigger on the linex this week. But I called up the shop in Bridgewater NJ (closest) just now, and they want $700? For a 2dr, pre-stripped? That's insane; I'd sooner do the herculiner myself. :shaking:

Tim, I thought you got your 4dr done in NC for like $600 pre-stripped?
Anybody else get this done and have some normal prices to report?

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since I have my doors off at the moment, and never put the carpets back in, I was thinking about pulling the trigger on the linex this week. But I called up the shop in Bridgewater NJ (closest) just now, and they want $700? For a 2dr, pre-stripped? That's insane; I'd sooner do the herculiner myself. :shaking:

Tim, I thought you got your 4dr done in NC for like $600 pre-stripped?
Anybody else get this done and have some normal prices to report?
Yea I paid 600 stripped, Chris got a price down by him for 550 stripped, 700 is a little high but I've seen higher

·
Official Monkey Business
12,216 Posts
lol, just something wrong with us jeep guys! Love the pics - and great write up.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
I know i am probably resurrecting this for no reason and apologize in advance... I want to do this and would like to know the pros and cons from people that have done this... more road noise? worth is for a daily driver??

·
Vendor
2,531 Posts
I just did this for the second time, i just bought a TJ and sold the JK. It will make it a little warmer inside during summer, i felt the "heat of the highway" a lot more. I have had people tell me it makes it louder, but damn it is a Jeep, 1/2 the time the top is off. I love it, make sure you take you're time and do it right. I stripped everything out of the TJ and it made it much easier.

As far as the application goes make sure you sand the hell out of the thing, the only places that failed on the JK were where i did not sand good enough. Also make sure you clean it well also, I sell the chemicals to clean it and we have a pretty good deal on them, if your'e interested shoot me a PM.

I think this is one of the best upgrades you can do, go tear it up!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts