JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am thinking about getting some Pitbull Rockers (42x15-17).
Is anybody running those on his JK ?
I am having UD60´s and beadlocks with 3.5 backspacing.
Would like to know, whether those 15 inch wide tires are rubbing or whether a wheel spacer is needed to run them.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

·
Registered
8,407 Posts
UD60s are ~68" wide WMS to WMS so unless you are running quite a bit of lift, Im going to guess you will rub even with 3.5" BS wheels.

Also bias ply??? Not the best choice for anything other than a dedicated trail rig.

·
Vendor
22 Posts
Not near enough width on the axles. I think you will have a hard time even with 72" WMS axles, you would likely also need some adapters. I guess you could run 6"-8" of lift and limit the steering. Regardless I would not run the UD 60's as they are not that great of an axle.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UD60s are ~68" wide WMS to WMS so unless you are running quite a bit of lift, Im going to guess you will rub even with 3.5" BS wheels.
Not near enough width on the axles. I think you will have a hard time even with 72" WMS axles, you would likely also need some adapters.
I am running 40s at the moment (13.50'' wide) and already have to limit the steering a little bit. Those are on rims with a backspace of 4.5.

I would not mind using some adapters, but definitely don't wanna limit the steering any more. It is already tough on tight trails compared to my buddies in there short wheelbase rigs.

Also bias ply??? Not the best choice for anything other than a dedicated trail rig.
Infact, the bias ply would not be my first selection, but, I can get them as a labour payment instead of cash (so not absolutely free ;) ).

I guess you could run 6"-8" of lift and limit the steering. Regardless I would not run the UD 60's as they are not that great of an axle.
6'' would be maybe ok, more steering limiting not. The UDs are already in the jeep since 3 years. So that is fixed.

As far as I see, most 42'' tires are about 14.50'' to 15'' wide, so it would probably be always a challenge to get them on a JK.

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
You can fit anything on anything. Just depends on how much work (as in cutting) you're willing to put into it.

It's not just that the extra width is going to create contact, the extra diameter is going to also move where that contact happens.

Wheel spacers, limited steering and a ton of lift are band-aids to fix the wrong combination of parts. Mainly it's telling you that you need to fire up the sawzall and go to town making the room you need.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can fit anything on anything. Just depends on how much work (as in cutting) you're willing to put into it.
I agree, I did already quite some cutting to fit the 40s in.

It's not just that the extra width is going to create contact, the extra diameter is going to also move where that contact happens.
True. Will see, how I can evaluate this. I hope, someone is showing up here, who has 42s already in his JK.

Wheel spacers, limited steering and a ton of lift are band-aids to fix the wrong combination of parts. Mainly it's telling you that you need to fire up the sawzall and go to town making the room you need.
Infact, I don´t wanna band aid anything. I would like to make it, if there is a way to make it work perfectly. If not, I will stay with 40s.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Not sure if it will help. So for what it's worth:
I have a 6 inch long arm lift and 1.5 (or 1.25) can't remember body lift
on a 2 door, 2008 with stock axles.
I ran 37 for the first 80k miles
Now for the last 80K miles I have been running Goodyear 42" 14.5
I have 4.5 inch back spaced rims and 1.5 inch adapters.
I get slight rub on the frame on a tight turn.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure if it will help. So for what it's worth:
I have a 6 inch long arm lift and 1.5 (or 1.25) can't remember body lift
on a 2 door, 2008 with stock axles.
Good information. Thank you.
That's quite some lift. What type of suspension are you having ?

I ran 37 for the first 80k miles
That's what I had first, too.

Now for the last 80K miles I have been running Goodyear 42" 14.5
I have 4.5 inch back spaced rims and 1.5 inch adapters.
I get slight rub on the frame on a tight turn.
So my axles should be around 2.5" or so wider. The rims are having 3.5 inch back space So maybe....
Btw. how satisfied are you with your Goodyear Kevlars ?

I have a JKU with 45's on 3.25" lift.

Here's the thread. Welcome to my nightmare:thefinger:

Blue jeep build
That is a hell of a build. Thanks for the link. I will go through it to see and learn :).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.