JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Dynatrac tells me they just released their Dana 80 axles and its only about $400 more than the full float Dana Prorock 60s I have a deposit on. The catch, however, is I'd lose about 2 inches of ground clearance.

I'm looking to run 40's on a 2 door JK, so don't think the extra strength of the 40 spline vs. 35 spline shafts or 11 inch vs. 9 inch gear is really necessary; on the other hand, having Dana 80s would be pretty much indestructable - and frankly just kinda cool to say. :)

Anyone have any opinions on strength vs. ground clearance when I already have a really strong setup to begin with?

· Registered
13,219 Posts
Dana 80 seems extremely unnecessary on a 2dr. Stick with the full float 60.

· Registered
447 Posts
If your planning on a motor swap to like a diesel or hemi, then why the hell not. Go big or go home, right!?

Sent via evil monkey!

· Registered
13,219 Posts
If your planning on a motor swap to like a diesel or hemi, then why the hell not. Go big or go home, right!?

Sent via evil monkey!
Sorry, but it still seems counter productive. Even more weight and 2" of ground clearance is a substantial amount. If he was running 44s with a pissed off 5.9L Cummins in a 3/4 ton truck it'd be worth it. D80 with only 40s on a 2dr would just be counter-productive IMO.

· Premium Member
3,725 Posts
I would choose clearance in this situation.

Wheeled with a friend in Harlan that ran a D60 on his slightly stretched TJ and 35's. That D60 pumpkin was like an anchor, he drug it on everything. He will eventually move up to a larger tire which will help out but if you loose 2" with the D80 you've effectively made your 40's run like 37's

· Registered
10,350 Posts
Sorry, but it still seems counter productive. Even more weight and 2" of ground clearance is a substantial amount. If he was running 44s with a pissed off 5.9L Cummins in a 3/4 ton truck it'd be worth it. D80 with only 40s on a 2dr would just be counter-productive IMO.
how big is the 80 vs a 14 bolt?

· The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,661 Posts
There is a member here who has the Pro Rock 80 on order with us and we had the same discussion. His build is a 2013 JKU that will be on 41.5" Pit Bull Rockers and he has the intention of an LS or a 6.4 HEMI.

For his build it made sense to do the 80, especially with the very small price difference.

I think I'd stick to 60s on a two door myself and you will have axles that are damn near indestructible either way.

Marcus

· Premium Member
8,711 Posts
If you had a 4 dr and its weight the tradeoff is easier. With your 2dr a 60 is strong enough, I'd choose clearance. Either way it will be strong.
Dana 80 seems extremely unnecessary on a 2dr. Stick with the full float 60.
I'll go with these ^ and the others who said about the same thing.

For your application IMO, a FF 60 is MORE than enough axle for you... hell, a SF 60 is plenty. As it was stated, a D80 is counterproductive, akin to killing a fly with a shotgun while being charged by a wild boar and swatting him with a fly swatter. The strength you are gaining in your application isn't worth the loss of ground clearance, and money spent.

@6000 lbs with the doors off, unloaded, and 40's... I am probably a candidate for an 80 and even then I would probably himhaw at it because of the loss of clearance and even the minimal cost difference vs a FF Dynatrac 60. Now if I was also running a high HP HEMI or LS or even a dialed up diesel swap, then I would certainly be in the 80 market. But it is certainly a nice axle to daydream about. :)

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just spoke with their tech, and they said its only a loss of 1 inch, but is a low pinion instead of high pinion; but that shouldn't be an issue since I'm only doing 3.5 inch RK long arm lift.

Based on above, the 2 inches of loss was good reason to stick with 60. Now only an inch difference. The $400 is sorda a rounding error when paying $15,000, but easier to do now then later.

I know its overbuilt, but still tough to decide.

· Premium Member
8,711 Posts
I just spoke with their tech, and they said its only a loss of 1 inch, but is a low pinion instead of high pinion; but that shouldn't be an issue since I'm only doing 3.5 inch RK long arm lift.

Based on above, the 2 inches of loss was good reason to stick with 60. Now only an inch difference. The $400 is sorda a rounding error when paying $15,000, but easier to do now then later.

I wish I was making that decision!!! LOL!

What is the weight difference between the 60 and 80?

Whats the lug pattern?

The low pinion is a strength adder for sure you have to adjust your wheeling style a tad knowing the DS has more potential for being an obstacle catcher, probably more so for JKU's.

Good luck with your decision, sounds like a fun one to make... me in a 2 door.. I am HP FF60 and call it a day.

· Registered
10,350 Posts

if an 80 is the same size as the 14 bolt, and you're going to run 40's, i say do it.

if it's bigger, i wouldn't.

I've rocked 40's and 42's with the 14 bolt and you do really notice the difference.

However, with 40's, when you hit, you back up, and just wack it again harder. you're on tons. No big deal

pinion angle is no big deal on a rear. You just rotate the axle till the pinion is where you want it.

· Premium Member
154 Posts
There is a member here who has the Pro Rock 80 on order with us and we had the same discussion. His build is a 2013 JKU that will be on 41.5" Pit Bull Rockers and he has the intention of an LS or a 6.4 HEMI.

For his build it made sense to do the 80, especially with the very small price difference.

I think I'd stick to 60s on a two door myself and you will have axles that are damn near indestructible either way.

Marcus
I have the Prorock 80 on order. As Marcus said, it fits my build. If we are talking about a Prorock 80 & not just a standard Pro 80, you only give up less than an inch of ground clearance and 40 additional pounds of weight to the same equipped Prorock 60. For that sacrifice you gain over a 100% in ring and pinion strength and more axle shaft strength (not sure exactly how much there). This coupled with the introductory pricing on the Prorock 80 was enoph to settle it for me, but like I said "it fits my build" big tires, high HP, and heavy 4 door.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.