JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No kidding!

I was at work on Thursday and my laptop started smoking. Then smoking ALOT. I saw the smoke and ran into my office, Then pffffht like a flare gun or roman candle going off and flames shot out of my laptop and started some paperwork on my desk on fire. I unplugged and pulled the laptop off the desk and turned it over, set it on the ground and it seemed to be "ok". I put out the fire on my desk then went and got a damp towel from the bathroom and was patting down the bottom side of the laptop to cool the plastic as it was still very hot and making some noises.

Suddenly another flare gun shot and a 4' flame shot out of my laptop! I yelled at my employees to get the fire extinguisher and call the fire department. I smothered the laptop in dry chem but not until another 3 outbursts of flames. One employee asked me what the number to the fire department was and said, umm, 911. I stood outside of my office babysitting the laptop awaiting the FD when yet another flare went off and another 4' flame. This time I practically emptied the dry chem onto the laptop until there was a good 1/4 - 1/8" layer smoothering any flames.

The FD arrived with 2 engines, a paramedic and a brush truck along with one PD cruiser. Apparently my employee said to the dispatcher that the store was on fire. The corrected to say it was a laptop on fire. But since they had already rolled they came anyway. They opened up the building to ventilate but took no other action. The Battalion Chief said I would have made a good fire fighter.

I'll post some pics later today as this is on my new laptop and no, it isn't another HP.

Apparently the battery pack over heated and the batteries went off just as if you tossed them into the fire.

I managed to salvage the HD out of it but had two alternate backups as well just in case.

HP called me on Friday asking if I had an issue with my laptop. I said well if you think 4' flames shooting out of a laptop nearly burning down my business an issue then yes, I guess you could say I had an "issue".

·
Registered
868 Posts
Just a small issue.

Did HP thank you for calling and tell you to have a nice day?

Ron

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sort of. Sounds like they will be sending me some money for my laptop and a new desk.

I told them I don't need another HP laptop, unless I need kindling. :grinpimp:

G

·
0 Posts
Boy, you have all the right survival tools! After all, who needs a flint when you have a HP.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think if I had a laptop starting to shoot 4' flames out of it I would have crapped my pants.

that would have smothered the flames!!!LOL

·
Registered
85 Posts
Dell has had the same problem with some of their laptops as well. The problem has been traced back to the lithium ion batteries.

I've seen some vids of some of the fires, scary stuff, especially if it happens to be on your lap.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Dell has had the same problem with some of their laptops as well. The problem has been traced back to the lithium ion batteries.

I've seen some vids of some of the fires, scary stuff, especially if it happens to be on your lap.
Yeah ive seen some of those stories. I try and take simple precautions now like turning off and unplugging the computer while gone during the day or asleep at night. Also when its sitting on and plugged in but not being used during the day I try and keep it on a hard flat surface to help ventilate.

·
Registered
37 Posts
good job i am a firefighter and you would be surprised how many people cant deal with the threat of a fire like that they will just take off or will empty an extinguisher on it but not unplug it well done good job mate you can run with my crew any day

·
Registered
43 Posts
Oh my hubbo just got me a laptop.... Hope that dosen't happen to mine...but ya know there was just a story on the news about a boys sony handheld game heating up in his pocket and burning his leg...ugh....so I guess you just have to be careful...

·
Registered
573 Posts
Hey Michael! Came across this little gem on ENGADGET.

Was it like this (from a comment thread in the above story):Exploding Laptop Battery?

Just thought you might be interested.......

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so it's not many days ago but here are the images.

During the cleanup I found many places where molten parts of the copper in the batteries had flown during the explosions and melted through plastic, melted the carpet and smoldered on paper in places I did not see during the event. Hunks of melted plastic were stuck to the walls and furniture and in some cases I still haven't gotten it off of the file cabinet completely.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Holy WOW! I hope you get a little something for your "troubles".

1 - 14 of 14 Posts