JKOwners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Jeep club meeting was tonight- here's another buddy with game changer 2.5 and 37s- the ideal setup

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Looks nice! I think I just like the higher look of the 4. What may be ideal for one, might not be for another. Good stuff!

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Laughing at your comment guy. Lol.

Disproportionate? I mean if you’re throwing a 6” with 35s then ya. The difference between the 3” and 4” with 35s is pretty negligible from the pics that have been posted. As far as weight and roll over because of the “disproportion” it’s nothing some Undercloak won’t help out.

Working with what I have. And future proofing. Let’s get a picture of your rig up here. Let’s see it.

I’ll post one of mine when it’s done. Then I hope you tell me it’s disproportionate. Lol
1) Adding weight in skids is not how you fix COG.. If stability is not your thing then so be it.

2) The disproportion I was referring to is aesthetic but again, your jeep, do you.

3) If you put a 4.5" lift with 35's, you won't need to post a pic for me to personally think it is disproportionate. Again, feel free though.

4) Since you asked nicely, guy...

Here's before the backhalf

And as it is as of last night.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Laughing at your comment guy. Lol.

Disproportionate? I mean if you’re throwing a 6” with 35s then ya. The difference between the 3” and 4” with 35s is pretty negligible from the pics that have been posted. As far as weight and roll over because of the “disproportion” it’s nothing some Undercloak won’t help out.

Working with what I have. And future proofing. Let’s get a picture of your rig up here. Let’s see it.

I’ll post one of mine when it’s done. Then I hope you tell me it’s disproportionate. Lol
1) Adding weight in skids is not how you fix COG.. If stability is not your thing then so be it.

2) The disproportion I was referring to is aesthetic but again, your jeep, do you.

3) If you put a 4.5" lift with 35's, you won't need to post a pic for me to personally think it is disproportionate. Again, feel free though.

4) Since you asked nicely, guy...

Here's before the backhalf

And as it is as of last night.
1) bumpers, winch, rock rails, skids, fenders will all add weight. Therefore the 4,4.5” lift will more than likely be less than that.

2) yep

3) yep

4) nice rig.

·
pvanfab.com
535 Posts
1) bumpers, winch, rock rails, skids, fenders will all add weight. Therefore the 4,4.5” lift will more than likely be less than that.

2) yep

3) yep

4) nice rig.
Actually most aftermarket lift companies take the added weight into consideration and make their 4.5" springs to actual be 5-5.5" without the added weight

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
165 Posts

2) yep

3) yep

4) nice rig.
IIRC the quality companies factor in a JKU with bumpers skids and winch in their lift heights. I know at least RK does. I would look into it if you're planning on it being less than 4/4.5" after the armor.

·
Registered
656 Posts
4/4.5” game changer on 35s 4 door

I run 35s on a 3.5 game changer.
Just yesterday I ordered 5 trail grapplers in 37”, I expect zero problems with that set up.

If it’s “the look” you’re after, and you care more about that than the function, there are several other lifts that would be a whole lot cheaper.

If you want good function over “look” you’re probably making a mistake.

I’m new here, I’ve found these guys to generally know what they are talking about and have always gotten respectable advice when I’m respectful.

Here’s my current set up

I have fenders in the paint shop, they’ll go on when the 37s do.

Edit:
I’m pretty sure that I haven’t seen much (if any)settling with added weight. I’m of the opinion that MetalCloak has their shit together, and the springs they sell have a touch of engineering behind them. If you’re going 4.5 expecting to sag, again you’re probably making a mistake. (The wrong assumption)

If you look at my “our 2017 jkur” thread, you can clearly see that I too made the assumption that there would be some settling If there was any it’s very minor, I was wrong.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
i always imagined were I to be fortunate and live in Utah, Nevada or Colorado where dry rocks reign supreme, I would just run Treadwrights like those all the time. I imagine they are very grippy in those premo conditions and cheap enough to not have to care about them. Plus they look cool.
I've been running the Treadwright Guard Dogs for nine years now (32s and now 35s). They've been excellent in the Tennessee mud - they're great at highway pressure but aired down to ~18 or so it's crazy how good they are. They're a bit noisy on the road but I'm used to it now.

Didn't know they were looking into a 37 x 17 tire for production. May just have to stick with TW...

·
Super Moderator
6,175 Posts
I've been running the Treadwright Guard Dogs for nine years now (32s and now 35s). They've been excellent in the Tennessee mud - they're great at highway pressure but aired down to ~18 or so it's crazy how good they are. They're a bit noisy on the road but I'm used to it now.

Didn't know they were looking into a 37 x 17 tire for production. May just have to stick with TW...

Good to know.
Yeah, I imagine a 37" version of that'd be backordered before they posted it was available, heh. We all likes big tars....

:dustin:

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
To the OP, here's a shot of my 3.5" lift immediately following the install, with 32's just before heading to the tire shop. I know it's not what you were looking for but you probably weren't looking for discussion on an excellent tire either haha. Besides, I figured if you're going for that "skipped leg day" look, this is a good example :laughing:

By the way, my 3.5 RK lift sat at 4.25" because I didn't have any aftermarket weight on it. Here's a couple shots from the same day, after new tires:

I'm currently finishing up an engine swap with a 1.25" body lift along with the 3.5" and may go down to 2.5" springs to get ride height back to pre-BL (high steer kit will require some frame clearancing to go less than 3" without hitting bump stops constantly). I'll take some pics of what will almost certainly be the top heavy / "high roller" look, with ~5-5.5" of lift on 35's lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
To the OP, here's a shot of my 3.5" lift immediately following the install, with 32's just before heading to the tire shop. I know it's not what you were looking for but you probably weren't looking for discussion on an excellent tire either haha. Besides, I figured if you're going for that "skipped leg day" look, this is a good example :laughing:

By the way, my 3.5 RK lift sat at 4.25" because I didn't have any aftermarket weight on it. Here's a couple shots from the same day, after new tires:

I'm currently finishing up an engine swap with a 1.25" body lift along with the 3.5" and may go down to 2.5" springs to get ride height back to pre-BL (high steer kit will require some frame clearancing to go less than 3" without hitting bump stops constantly). I'll take some pics of what will almost certainly be the top heavy / "high roller" look, with ~5-5.5" of lift on 35's lol.

IMO the "skipped leg day" look is far from the lift and tires i want to put on. especially with the stock fenders. Once i get 37s and throw smaller fenders on, itll fill out very nicely.

The rims i bought have 4.75 backspacing and will definitely giver her some nice stance. also, wider stance = help with COG

Also, steel parts DO in fact help with COG. Basic Physics and weight distribution of this should be somewhat common sense. Everyone no matter what size lift or tires you put on, is prone to rolling over and being unstable. Hell, the STOCK is still not that stable.

I'll post pics of my beast when shes done. 4/4.5" lift with 35s will look awesome, Change My Mind. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
IMO the "skipped leg day" look is far from the lift and tires i want to put on. especially with the stock fenders. Once i get 37s and throw smaller fenders on, itll fill out very nicely.

The rims i bought have 4.75 backspacing and will definitely giver her some nice stance. also, wider stance = help with COG

Also, steel parts DO in fact help with COG. Basic Physics and weight distribution of this should be somewhat common sense. Everyone no matter what size lift or tires you put on, is prone to rolling over and being unstable. Hell, the STOCK is still not that stable.

I'll post pics of my beast when shes done. 4/4.5" lift with 35s will look awesome, Change My Mind. :grin2:
Ok, I'll give you a D- for participation, but your understanding of "Basic Physics" couldn't be more incorrect. I understand you're not concerned with the opinions and experiences of those of us that have done this a time or two, but for anyone else that comes across this thread, adding weight (Bumpers, Winch, Tire carrier, etc.) will not decrease center of gravity, ever... The only way to lower your center of gravity is to either decrease weight, or physically lower the center of mass, ie. lower lift.

Yes, all vehicles used in off camber terrain are susceptible to rolling over.. That's the point of decreasing the COG and therefore increasing the stability...

·
Random Dude
3,041 Posts
To be fair: by definition, adding or moving weight below the existing COG does lower the COG.

For instance, a 3/4" steel belly skid would be a generally horrible idea, but it would lower COG.

Jeep mods are about trade-offs. Low COG is better, heavier is worse, turkey bacon is bullshit :laughing:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Here is a 3" lift, 37s with 1.25" body lift. So 4.25" total.
3" of lift was fine until I was loaded down for overlanding, then the rear door would rub the bumper and front tires would rub the fender support when stuffed.
I added 1.25" body lift to resolve those issues without changing my caster.

Also be aware that heavier tires will wear out components like ball joints, unit bearings, drag link ends, tie rod ends, etc. So have a plan for when they wear out.
If going off road there's a lot that needs to be beefed up, again have a plan before you break stuff.

:beer:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Ok, I'll give you a D- for participation, but your understanding of "Basic Physics" couldn't be more incorrect. I understand you're not concerned with the opinions and experiences of those of us that have done this a time or two, but for anyone else that comes across this thread, adding weight (Bumpers, Winch, Tire carrier, etc.) will not decrease center of gravity, ever... The only way to lower your center of gravity is to either decrease weight, or physically lower the center of mass, ie. lower lift.

Yes, all vehicles used in off camber terrain are susceptible to rolling over.. That's the point of decreasing the COG and therefore increasing the stability...
Can't believe I have to explain this....

If you put a piece of thin wood suspended in the air with both ends resting on a heavier object, attaching a weight to the middle of that and watching the wood bend isn't physics? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't GRAVITY related to Physics?

"Couldn't be more incorrect." FOH

Understood that skids probably don't effect the COG and not much will.

You literally just told me I don't know Basic Physics.

LOL Bruh you need to read some books and get educated.

·
Premium Member
4,087 Posts
To be fair: by definition, adding or moving weight below the existing COG does lower the COG.

For instance, a 3/4" steel belly skid would be a generally horrible idea, but it would lower COG.

Jeep mods are about trade-offs. Low COG is better, heavier is worse, turkey bacon is bullshit :laughing:

Should be illegal to use the wonderful bacon name when the meat is turkey and not succulent piggy. It's like calling a super model Gar.............doesn't work.

I concur with your physics lesson.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Can't believe I have to explain this....

If you put a piece of thin wood suspended in the air with both ends resting on a heavier object, attaching a weight to the middle of that and watching the wood bend isn't physics? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't GRAVITY related to Physics?

"Couldn't be more incorrect." FOH

Understood that skids probably don't effect the COG and not much will.

You literally just told me I don't know Basic Physics.

LOL Bruh you need to read some books and get educated.
Despite your example of a piece of wood being suspended in air but somehow also resting on objects being a static condition and related to mechanics of materials and the deflection of the wood based on a point load, it does not apply to calculating the center of gravity of an object.. While yes, numbers wise, you could argue that adding a large amount of weight in the skid system only, will lower the COG a very small amount, you're also arguing that adding bumpers, rockers, winch (all of which above the starting COG) will help, it will actually hurt it. Ever wonder throughout all your apparent book reading and education why you have to weigh the vehicle on a level plane and then raise the back and weigh again to accurately calculate COG?

But yes, I know what I literally just told you, It's right up there to read.. That's kind of how the internet works. There is one thing that could help COG though. Not installing a 4.5" lift. :beer::grin2:

Disclaimer: I truly do not care what you end up doing or what your justifications are but you seem offended which is mildly amusing to me today.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts