JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats going to depend on who has them in stock. I have checked around with a few vendors and have prices ranging from $435.00 to $495.00 per tire. There are very few of them in existence. I ordered 5 of them at the cheaper price to keep around for when someone needs/wants them.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Those are the exact tires, size included, that I am looking to get next go round. If wasn't having to replace my rear axle I'd probably be all over those puppies. Of course the axle upgrade won't hurt when that time comes.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
If wasn't having to replace my rear axle I'd probably be all over those puppies.
You'd most probably only end up replacing the axle after you've put them on anyway ;) That is a big tire to turn with a 44, and heavy too.

I've thought about them, but the extra 1/2" clearance you gain just doesn't seem to be a good trade off against the added weight. Now if they did a 39x13.50 KM2 I'd be seriously tempted.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I broke the axle with 37x13.50x17. Although, I'll take the blame as opposed to saying it was inferior product or materials. So upgrading to a Tera CRD 60 will be perfect for a tire of that size.

Also, the KM2 comes in a 40x14.50, eh? How about that one?

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Thanks for posting the pictures. I've been really interested in these tires. Any chance you could weigh the 37's and 38's for a comparison?

I think the 38's are supposed to be raised black letter also. Is this correct?

G

·
With 60's, the 40 would be great. As much as I'd like to run 40's myself I think I'd be asking for trouble with 44's.
I’ll be in the market for new tires this winter and was thinking about 38s. This may also push the D44s to far so I’m on the fence.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I’ll be in the market for new tires this winter and was thinking about 38s. This may also push the D44s to far so I’m on the fence.
You sound like me Alec. You know we want to run them real bad. You just end up telling yourself we'll be gentle, knowing that ain't gonna happen. I've still got about 10,000 miles left on mine, so I'll let you go first. :beer:

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
For the extra 3lbs I'd go to 40's. I have about 15-20k left on my 37's, but at 83 lbs I'm so tempted to try some 40's when the time comes, they actually weigh less than the 36" Iroks I ran.

·
Registered
183 Posts
For the extra 3lbs I'd go to 40's. I have about 15-20k left on my 37's, but at 83 lbs I'm so tempted to try some 40's when the time comes, they actually weigh less than the 36" Iroks I ran.
There's more to axle breakage then just the weight of the tire, as I am sure you know. 40's look really good on a JK though!
Thanks for the pics!

peter

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Yup, the diameter comes in to it too, and I've generally found that wider tires cause more issues on rock as well due to the larger footprint and increased grip.

I was doing great at convincing myself that 40's would be fine, now you've gone and ruined it for me ;) :D

·
Registered
899 Posts
So then would ya'll think that a Tera 60 in the rear and a stock Dana 44 up front would be reasonable to run the 38x14.50's on? Or would ya think that you wuld need to get chromoly shafts for the front and maybe those little gussets things (like what EVO makes).

G

·
I want to stick with MT/Rs but they don’t make a 38. 40x13.5 sounds tempting but I won’t have the cash spare next year for D60s. I wheel Moab frequently where 14.5 is IMHO too wide and even 13.5 is pushing it with the grip you get there.

Ill probably just get 37x12.5 MT/Rs again and call it good.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.