JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at tire options, 37x13.5 and 37x12.5 and want to know if either would work or is the 13.5" flat out no good with this wheel.

The wheel is a LRG model 106, part # 10689073700 going on a 2014 Willys with 2" suspension lift and 1.25" body lift. I don't think it matters, but a ProRock 44 Unlimited is being installed in a couple weeks.
Lower control arms are Rock Krawler, Ruff Stuff DOM 1 ton offset tie rod and the rest is all Synergy (track bar and drag link)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To be clear, I'm worried about the 5" backspace being tucked in to far for a 12.5 or 13.5 inch wide tire.

·
Registered
388 Posts
if you're going to be wheeling/flexing, 5" backspacing is pushing it with 37s and likely going to cause some rubbing. you're better off with 4" backspacing.

unless you already own the wheels or are getting a really sweet deal on them, i'd personally go with a different wheel with less backspacing. if you must use those wheels, then go with the narrower tire and/or 35's instead of 37s to minimize the rubbing.

you may also have problems with your ruffstuff tie rod. with my wheels, and 4.75" backspacing, i needed to get the rod length perfect to avoid the jam nuts contacting the wheel at full lock. might be a bit less of a problem on an 18 inch wheel, as long as your wheel weights aren't the kind the clip on to the inside face of the rim.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you. The issue I have is that I bought the wheels over a year ago and love the design of them, but I had no clue about backspace requirements when I bought them. They are new in the box, in my basement.

I had 2 tires I was considering, the Nitto Mud Grappler and the STT Pro and both are 37x13.5. There aren't any other 37" tires I have liked the curb appeal of, and these two companies do not do a 37x12.5.

I'm bumming pretty hard on this. I hate to buy the tires, get them mounted and discover that this is not going to work. I just tossed the wheels onto Craigslist last night for $875 ($175 each, I paid $230 each) and hope someone local will grab them up They sure are sexy wheels!

·
Registered
388 Posts
you could run those wheels with spacers to get better backspacing. and you probably won't need the extra backspacing while on the road, so you could put the spacers on when you go wheeling and then take them back off when you're done.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Larry,

You can get the STT Pro in a 37 x 12.5", just FYI. It also saves you 3lbs besides being a little narrower...

Cooper STT Pro 37 x 12.5 weight = 83lbs and section width = 13.0"

Cooper STT Pro 37 x 13.5 weight = 86lbs and section width = 13.3"

Oh wait, maybe you mean for the 18" rim? I was comparing 17" rims when I was shopping.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Larry,

You can get the STT Pro in a 37 x 12.5", just FYI. It also saves you 3lbs besides being a little narrower...

Cooper STT Pro 37 x 12.5 weight = 83lbs and section width = 13.0"

Cooper STT Pro 37 x 13.5 weight = 86lbs and section width = 13.3"

Oh wait, maybe you mean for the 18" rim? I was comparing 17" rims when I was shopping.
But not on the 18" wheels I have bought and paid for. I wish like hell that I could get a 37x12.5-18, but they only di it in a 17".

So I have an $1,000 set of wheels that I have been staring at for over a year, and I love the design of them because I can easily get my hand in the spokes to clean the barrels and they are not the flush face that scrapes rock like the stock Willys/Rubi wheel. I am also seriously done with money. I have robbed Peter to pay Paul this year to get the $9000 I spent. There is no more money.

And to make it more fun, the axles are now geared 4.88 and I have my 32" tires on, so I pretty much have to get the 37" tires or I'm gonna be going down the road like a dragster.

·
Registered
388 Posts
there are 37x12.5x18 tires available... i did a quick search and procomp makes one. not sure about other brands, as i didn't search very hard.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But Procomp tires have lame sidewalls. I like the sidewall of the Trepidor, the STT Pro and the Mud Grappler.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Trail grapplers 37's come in the 12.5" for 18" rims. They have better sidewalls than the STT Pro's in my opinion. And I just bought STT's!

·
Registered
388 Posts
if you're just going for looks, then just put the wheels on your rig and be done with it. 5" backspacing isn't gonna rub when you're pulling into your parking spot at nordstroms.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You so funny. Not.

If I'm spending 2 grand on tires, I want them to not only work well but also look good. My shit isn't by any means a mall crawler, but it's also not a rock bouncer. It's a very functional build being that there is limited money, I don't buy anything that doesn't help it work offroad. But while buying what it does actually need, I have the option of buying not the cheapest, not the most popular, but the part that appeals to me the most. I like a lumpy, chunky sidewall. I also like shiny paint. So kill me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm running Military H1 "Hummer Wheels and tires true inside and out bead locks with run flats. 16.5 wheels
The rubber is 37x12.50 BFG Baja T/A's

While you most likely don't care for the look the point is with a good set of quality spacers you can do anything.
The entire set up including spacers and five tires and wheels with balancing cost me right $1,000 dollars next time I buy tires it will be less than 500 bucks for 37" BFG's

These replaced my procomp wheels and 33" BFG mud terrains the ride and sound is much better than before.

Sounds to me you should be fine running the tires you want to without a problem but
Call Lenny tell him what you have and what your trying to accomplish he will tell you if you are where you need to be or hook you up with the right spacers/adapters to make your wheels fit your rig properly. 775-351-1600

He's good people and a Jeeper at heart.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
~$200 spacers or different tires. My $0.02

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
You will want a 3.5" bs wheel to run a 37x13.5" tire if you want to totally flex it out and not rub. Runs some 1.5" adapters with those wheels would be ideal. You will likely need some extra bump stop as well to keep the tires out of the fenders.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
3" bump stops, 1.5" spacers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts