JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone running them? How do you like them? Interested in how they perform in all conditions, mud, rocks, snow, ice, and highway/city.

I know the Nittos are heavy, but how much does this particular size weigh? I see it is one of the only sizes available in D load range, all others are E. So this should help the tire flex better, ride better, and possibly weigh less, correct?

I would really like MTR's, but it seems they have been on backorder forever, and nobody knows when they will be available again, and even though I really dont need them, I really am wanting to move up to 37's!

My JK is my daily driver, so I acctually think this would be a great tire since they tend to balance really well and have good wear from what I have heard. But I am worried about the weight killing my power and mileage, as well as the sidewall's being too stiff to work well in rocks without beadlocks, as well as a rough ride. I am sure they will not be good on ice due to lack of siping, which is somewhat of an issue since I live in ND, but I have ran mud tires on almost every truck I have owned, and I think they all suck on ice, just on differnt levels.

Thanks for any input! Pictures of these on 4doors would be great!

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,661 Posts
I had these before my current MTRs and have regretted selling the Nittos.

The shipping labels said 84 pounds and the MTRs aren't much less than that. At 37" you're really talking about minuscule differences that don't matter a whole heck of a lot.

When I ran these tires it was on a set of Raceline beadlocks which are very heavy themselves. I did not run any sort of balancing medium and they were smoother on the road than my MTRs that are road force balanced on standard alloy wheels.

Fwiw Mel over at ORE beats the snot out of the Nitto product line on his rigs. He is sponsored of course, but they still perform very well off road from what I've seen first hand and from guys who spend their lives in the rocks like him.

At this point, waiting on MTRs would be silly and I think you'll be very, very pleased with the Nitto.

I hate the fact that if I shred one of my MTRs I will be up a creek because Goodyear doesn't see the need to make the tires.

Marcus

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had these before my current MTRs and have regretted selling the Nittos.

The shipping labels said 84 pounds and the MTRs aren't much less than that. At 37" you're really talking about minuscule differences that don't matter a whole heck of a lot.

When I ran these tires it was on a set of Raceline beadlocks which are very heavy themselves. I did not run any sort of balancing medium and they were smoother on the road than my MTRs that are road force balanced on standard alloy wheels.

Fwiw Mel over at ORE beats the snot out of the Nitto product line on his rigs. He is sponsored of course, but they still perform very well off road from what I've seen first hand and from guys who spend their lives in the rocks like him.

At this point, waiting on MTRs would be silly and I think you'll be very, very pleased with the Nitto.

I hate the fact that if I shred one of my MTRs I will be up a creek because Goodyear doesn't see the need to make the tires.

Marcus
Thanks Marcus! I have been thinking about these tires ever since I got the quote from you about a month ago! Speaking of, do you know if that quote would still stand?

I really had my heart set on the MTR's, but it does feel hopeless to continue waiting for them! And like you mentioned, what happens if you kill an MTR, and there are no replacements available. I have a feeling when the next batch is released, they will be snatched up in short order, and we will be right back to where we are now, with no tires available! It just seems crazy to me, seems like there is such a demand for this size especially, people lined up to give GY their money, and they haven non available!

Did you ever wheel your TG's, Marcus? Wondering if you need to run stupid low air pressures to get them to sack out? I am not running bead locks, and have no plans of it right now, so 12lbs is about as low as I like to go. But the 4 doors are heavy enough, I dont forsee it being an issue.

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,661 Posts
I'm not sure what is going on at Goodyear so I can't necessarily comment on that, but I agree that they aren't too concerned. Ha ha!

I did not personally wheel them but I have gone wheeling with the guy who bought them from me and they did well.

They are a D load range which is the same as the MTR and most other 37s out there so you'll be fine.

Marcus

·
Registered
262 Posts
I am running 35s mud grapplers. I do a lot of highway driving. I am either switching to the trail grapplers or the Cooper STTs. They aren't horrible on the road but they are not great either. I went thru some mud with them this morning without any problems at all.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Looking forward to more updates on this tire, it is one of my top compeders for my first new tire. The MTRs sounds great and all but the availability is not there which sucks, also looking at the the rocker radials but these might be a little to aggressive for a DD.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Much tougher sidewall than the MTR/K as well... Don't let the Kevlar fool you. I know several guys that have torn the sidewalls on stuff that the Nittos shrugged off.

Rockers are waaaaaay too aggressive for a daily driver unless you have the $$$ to replace tires frequently.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looking forward to more updates on this tire, it is one of my top compeders for my first new tire. The MTRs sounds great and all but the availability is not there which sucks, also looking at the the rocker radials but these might be a little to aggressive for a DD.
My buddy is running 37" rockers on his LJ. They are bad ass tires, but I would say they are 20k mile tires at best! Also, he doesnt daily drive his rig, otherwise I doubt he would run them.

I ordered my Nitto trails from Marcus @ RCO on Tues! Tracking shows they will be here on Tues the 24th! Cannot wait to have my rig on 37's, and it sounds like I made a good decision with these tires! I hope so, since I have a couple buddies on MTR's that like to talk shit:nono:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
when my toyos get finished off that is what I will switch to. I like the toyos but the cost and weight are horrible. And I am not easy on tires.
The Toyos were high on my list also, I just dont like that the 37's are only available in a 13.5" width. Im not a big fan of wide tires on a jeep, they look great on a fullsize though!

The Nittos are supposed to be pretty heave also, but not sure how they compare to toyos? Marcus said the shipping labels on these say 84lbs, if I remember right MTR's are like 79lbs, if thats the case, I can live with 5lbs. It sounds like I will be getting some serious sidewall beef for the weight penalty as well as a tire that balances and drives great!

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
My buddy is running 37" rockers on his LJ. They are bad ass tires, but I would say they are 20k mile tires at best! Also, he doesnt daily drive his rig, otherwise I doubt he would run them.

I ordered my Nitto trails from Marcus @ RCO on Tues! Tracking shows they will be here on Tues the 24th! Cannot wait to have my rig on 37's, and it sounds like I made a good decision with these tires! I hope so, since I have a couple buddies on MTR's that like to talk shit:nono:
ya i am gonna need a little more than 20k out of my tires haha, thats good to hear about the MTRs it almost seems like they are the "trendy" think to run so i the nittos are the tires for me. thanks:marcy:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
X2 I'm doing the same thing.

OP let us know how ya like em, very interested

Vandy
I will let you all know what I think of these. It will probably be a week or two before I get them mounted. I still need to trim my pinch weld and rubi rails, and probably install the bushwacker flat flares that have been sitting in the corner for over 6 months now! I would be all over it this weekend, but my fiance and I have our weekend long pre-marriage seminar fri and Sat:nono:

Will definately give first impressions though, as well as some pics!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ya i am gonna need a little more than 20k out of my tires haha, thats good to hear about the MTRs it almost seems like they are the "trendy" think to run so i the nittos are the tires for me. thanks:marcy:
I agree, I think the MTR's are kinda the "trendy" tire right now. However, they do work very well from what I have seen! Overall though I do think this will be a better decision for me. My JKU is my daily driver, and see' every bit of 10k miles a year, including being driven on all of my wheeling trips and then driving back home (usually a 600 plus mile trip at the least! yeah, there is not a lot of good wheeling in ND!). From what I have read and heard, the MTR's can be troublesome to balance. It sounds like the Nittos balance very good, have great tread wear, are very tough, not too noisy, and perform well off road. I hate to admit it, but my jeep is 90% on road use at this time so even if the Nitto' give some off road to the MTR's, I think I will be overall more happy with them. And thats not saying they will not be as good off road, I just have not read a lot of off road specific reviews on them and have never seen them perform in person.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
The mtr's are a great road tire, i put 20k+ on mine, the ride on 35's was better, smoother and quieter than the stock rubi km's. They were tough as nails too. Still production issues at goodyear, rumoured to be back in line for feb. march production run.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The mtr's are a great road tire, i put 20k+ on mine, the ride on 35's was better, smoother and quieter than the stock rubi km's. They were tough as nails too. Still production issues at goodyear, rumoured to be back in line for feb. march production run.
Thats good to hear, these would have been the tires I had gone with, were they available! The whole "hard to balance" issue is just what I have read on-line, and it definately seems to be "a fluke" when it does happen. But I did find it disturbing none the less, this is a very sizeable investment for me, and it would be my luck to get one of these "flukes". I have two close friends running MTR'ks, and they both like them alot. the one that runs them daily, says they flat spot easily, and this bugs him alot. It would not be an issue for me, I have had multiple sets of swampers, those things are like squares, and I lived with them! I hope GY gets things figured out, it seems they are missing out on a lot of specialty tire sales, and that seems kinda crazy in this economic enviroment.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.