JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After being jerked around and lied to over the last month by Quadratec on when a set of Hutchinsons I ordered would ship, I gave up and canceled this afternoon. :mad:

This leaves me without new wheels for a set of 37x12.5 MTRs I have. (4" lift, gears, etc. have been on the Jeep for weeks...)

Has anyone run into problems mounting 37" MTRs on the stock Rubicon wheels along with Spidertrax spacers? (I realize this setup is far from ideal, just looking to get a few months out of it while I come up with a beadlock plan B.)

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Tons of people run that setup. May want to run a little less pressure for a decent patch on the road...but it'll be just fine.

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,651 Posts
It will indeed be fine with the wheel spacers. Might rub on the lower control arms at full lock steering but it's not a big deal if you're aware of it. :)

If you still want a set of Hutchinson bead locks I can make a few phone calls and see how quickly a set could be on your door step. I'm happy to help if you need any. :)

Those wheels do have a lead time in most cases...did you happen to call Hutchinson direct to find out how close you were to receiving them?

Marcus

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies. I'm going to go ahead and have the MTRs mounted on the stock wheels in the next day or so. Hopefully it will work out and I won't have think about wheels again for a while.

·
Registered
245 Posts

Stock wheels on 1.5 " spidertrax spacers. You can put a washer on the steering stop to stop the rubbing if you want, I just dont turn as sharp. I'm also running 32psi for pressure and it seems to be good with road manners.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Do you like the setup? I've got my lift sitting in the garage, but my friend that has a welder won't be in town to help install it until August and besides that I'm leaving town a couple times, so unless I come up with more money before then I will be running the same setup until I can afford to get new rims.

·
Registered
245 Posts
no gearing, I dont feel a loss or power of anything and I drive 100 miles day on highway and usually cruise around 65/70 mph, I do turn the O/D off though it makes a big difference. Havent reinforced yet but I am planning on it very soon. I love the setup and the ride is great. Going to Rausch Creek soon to see how it wheels and then I'll know for sure. It sits the same height as the RK 3.5 kit and the measured flex is a little less until I have enough funds for the kit. I figure I save money on the wheels for the time being until I can beef up the axles, eventually I'll be getting Racelines.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Havent reinforced yet but I am planning on it very soon. I figure I save money on the wheels for the time being until I can beef up the axles, eventually I'll be getting Racelines.
I have these. they have stood up to trail abuse very well. nice product for welding in. control arm skids that come with it were a very nice addition to my jeep.
http://www.northridge4x4.com/shop/off-road-evolution-jk-evo-c2-axle-gussets-control-arm-skids-package-c2-pack
I also bought sleeves from Iron Rock Offroad, but you can get sleeves from any where really. only thing I would do different is obtain reinforcement of the tubes at the center section. it looks like it is holding up but that still makes be nervous. well worth the investment for $60 and some welding.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for the information and the photos. This is just a followup post as I hate searching up threads that ask a question but don't have the OPs final solution.

It took much longer than I had thought to get the tires mounted and on the JK. I was travelling and getting time with my local fabricator is tough this time of year.

I had to have the upper rear link frame mounts moved in about 1.25 inches. I'm using a Full Traction long arm lift and they want wheels with something like 3.5" of back spacing to clear the upper rear links. That seemed excessive to me. Arabia's was able to do a cut and weld job on the mounts to move them in. The lift now works with 4.75" of backspacing, stock wheels at 6.25" and 1.5" Spidertrax spacers.

·
Registered
178 Posts

Stock wheels on 1.5 " spidertrax spacers. You can put a washer on the steering stop to stop the rubbing if you want, I just dont turn as sharp. I'm also running 32psi for pressure and it seems to be good with road manners.
I just bought a dremel to do the fender/bumper cuts you have in that pic. Plans are for an eventual steel winch bumper with light bar, and tube fenders, but they're months down the road and I want my ride to look different than every other stocker ASAP.

Plus, who doesn't need a dremel anyways? Thanks for helping me justify a new tool purchase to my better half.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
pardon the necro here but I found this thread helpful in my quest to 37s some time back and always wanted to come updated it with a pic of the 2013 wheels. This thread was one of the few that I was able to google up with decent pics in it.

My advice - do it. In this pic, the jeep has 1.25" teraflex wheel spacers and a mixed AEV lift.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Just a comment here...

1.75" wheel spacers work best. Brings the bs of the stock wheel right to 4.5"' which I checked with a straight edge and verneir caliper. I still rub the LCA and frame with 37s when aired down off road. The 1.25" spacers workd just okay with 35s and 37s.

Also, I've aired these things down to 7 & 8psi pretty regularly. No beads popped and no tires spun on the rim.

Anyway, mine are coming off and trail ready beadlocks going on.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The biggest challenge is just to find a shop that will mount the tires because most tires that size have a spec for a wider rim. With the amount of lift you have the spacers will take of the backspacing and they will work well. Just make sure you retorque the spacers when you rotate the tires.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts