JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am torn!! My last jk was a 2007 unlimited on 37s and I ran 5.38 gears. It still felt underpowered.

I am being told that my 2013 rubicon with 4.10 gears and manual tranny will be fine with 37s.

Can people chin in with personal experience?? This is my daily driver and I am contiplating 35s instead to match gearing and not stress the drivetrain as much.

Please provide some help!!!

Thanks!

· Registered
667 Posts
I'm currently running 35"s and there was no difference in power. Bumping up to 37"s this week and even expecting a power loss it'll still be better than my '08 w/37" and 5:13's

· Registered
631 Posts
My '12 2 door Sport had 37's with manual and 3.73's. No Issues at all, could still chirp 2nd and third.

My '13 Rubi Unlimited has an auto, 4.10's and the same 37's. Works fine, you can tell the difference in the transmission, but still no complaints.

· Registered
138 Posts
im running 36in tsls with manual tranny and 4.88s and its now geared past stock, which is perfect for me bc it gives me the perfect crawl ratio. depends on what your doing. for everyday driving you will be fine . there is a chart floating around this forum and if you take a look at that you will see that you will get by with 37s and 4.10s just fine.oh and mine is a 2012

· Registered
173 Posts
I have a '12 Sport with a manual and 37 Nitro Trails. I started with 3:73 changed to 5:13's and just put in Rubin axles with 4:10's. I only have wheeled with the stock 3:73's and wished I had the 4.1 box as it would have made life easier. The 5:13 gears really made a big difference, almost felt like a sports car but MPG fell more than I thought it would but i could now use 6th gear all the time (about 2950 rpm in 6th at 70) which is a little high, just wish I had a chance to wheel it before I changed out the axles. I think a 4:88 would be the best choice for me for the amount & type of DD driving I do (I have drove this Jeep out west 3 times already and have about 32k miles on after 17 months with the 3:73 & one of those was on the 37's). With all that said you should be good to go with the 4:10's and the Rubi TC unless you really start doing really hard trails.

· Registered
3,092 Posts
I am torn!! My last jk was a 2007 unlimited on 37s and I ran 5.38 gears. It still felt underpowered.

I am being told that my 2013 rubicon with 4.10 gears and manual tranny will be fine with 37s.

Can people chin in with personal experience?? This is my daily driver and I am contiplating 35s instead to match gearing and not stress the drivetrain as much.

Please provide some help!!!

Thanks!
I'm in the same boat. I'll be following this.

· Registered
218 Posts
I'm running 37's on my '12 JKUR and 4.10's with a 6 speed and don't mind it until I'm headed up in the mountains to wheel. I also live in Denver so the mountains I'm driving through aren't small either. Around town it doesn't bother me one bit, but then again I'm running 37" MTR Kevlars so they're light for 37's(74 lbs). My set up is only 98 lbs per corner and only went up 2 lbs from my 35's.

I am only planning a regear this summer to slow down wheel speed while wheeling as the 3.6 gets cranking above 3,000 rpm. IMO, you're fine especially with a manual. I'd go with a light tire like mtr's as well.

Hope this helps

Edit- Just saw you went with Nittos. They're a heavier tire so you may feel power loss a bit more than me.

· Registered
81 Posts
'12 w/ 4.10's and 6 speed with 35's gets around fine. Honestly, well enough where I wouldn't change gears with 35's.

Not sure i'd be happy with it on 37's and 4.10's. Plan to swap to 4.88's when the 37's go on probably next year.

· Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
All very good advice and information/data points!!

I have my tires in the garage, and the wheels and lift on order. Once I get it installed and get a few miles I will report back.

I had 5.38s on my '07 and it still felt like a dog, so I am Leary of the 4.10s although the 3.6 has a very noticeable power increase.

· Registered
217 Posts
All very good advice and information/data points!!

I have my tires in the garage, and the wheels and lift on order. Once I get it installed and get a few miles I will report back.

I had 5.38s on my '07 and it still felt like a dog, so I am Leary of the 4.10s although the 3.6 has a very noticeable power increase.
Congratulations! I went with 35's for cost, parking clearance (I know it is only an inch but I have a tight fit into one or two places), and taking it easy on my lovely little D44 up front, but I would definitely like to hear about your experience with the 37's. Which tire and wheel combination did you go with?

· Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Congratulations! I went with 35's for cost, parking clearance (I know it is only an inch but I have a tight fit into one or two places), and taking it easy on my lovely little D44 up front, but I would definitely like to hear about your experience with the 37's. Which tire and wheel combination did you go with?
I did walker evans 17" beedlocks and 37x12.5 Nitto Trail Grapplers. I also got a metalcloak 3.5" gamechanger lite lift.

· Registered
667 Posts
I installed my 37" MTR/K's this last weekend and have a couple hundred miles so far. The only difference I've noticed is a little more resistance from a stop. Everything else is fine, street, highway, and hills. 4:10 and auto trans.

· Registered
235 Posts
'13 Rubi 6 speed 4.10's, 35" Duratrac's.

It's about right on the freeway and running around town. We live at elevation and this combo requires a downshift to accelerate uphill. I'd be hesitant to go up to 37's without a gear change. But I prefer some pep in my vehicles.

· Registered
3,092 Posts
'13 Rubi 6 speed 4.10's, 35" Duratrac's.

It's about right on the freeway and running around town. We live at elevation and this combo requires a downshift to accelerate uphill. I'd be hesitant to go up to 37's without a gear change. But I prefer some pep in my vehicles.
That's kinda where I'm coming from. Living in Chicago it's not that big if a deal, but with a trip to CO and Moab this August, well I guess I should prepare to downshift...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.