JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, according to this:

I could run 35s with a 4.10 and a 6 Speed? Other than having to downshift on hills (I live on the East Coast of Virginia, not many hills :( ) are there any other drawbacks? This is my daily driver and I do some off-roading about once a month which is usually just trail riding with a few rock gardens but most of my miles are highway. :flame:

·
Breaker of nice things
2,477 Posts
I'm running that exact setup. Works like a champ - even @ 75-80 mph on the highway during my commute to and from work every day.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So how does it do offroad? I find myself rarely using 1st when I'm in 4-Low so I guess that might change.

Anything I need to worry about (i.e. gusseting)?

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
So how does it do offroad? I find myself rarely using 1st when I'm in 4-Low so I guess that might change.

Anything I need to worry about (i.e. gusseting)?
Definitely depends on the terrain, what I usually mess with is 1st gear in 4-low or easing in-between obstacles.

Gussets are a good idea, so is a sleeve or truss of some sort.

·
ADDICTION II build begins....
3,833 Posts
I am running 4.10s (Rubi) on 35s.....here on Oahu we have a lot of hilly driving as well as off-roading. Main thing I do when I know I am approaching a hill with lots of traffic I downshift to 5th. If there aren't any cars in front of me that I know will require braking, I keep it in 6th and can usually hold the speed....once I have to brake all bets are off for 6th. Other than that for highway I have had zero issues with 4.10s.

For off-roading, I bounce back and forth between 1st/2nd and 4LO....just depends on the terrain. :beer:

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
35's with 4.10's and an auto and I don't mind at all. Though last week with two friends in the Jeep I could feel the power loss....

·
Registered
916 Posts
when creeping around the mall i'll notice a slight shutter from the motor from not enough gearing or speed so i use the blimp the throttle and roll method.

0-60mph actually feels faster because u dont have to shift as much

hwy is ok, occasional i'll have to down shift on mild inclines but i can still cruise at 75mph

eventually ill get the jeep regeared for towing purposes

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Definitely depends on the terrain, what I usually mess with is 1st gear in 4-low or easing in-between obstacles.

Gussets are a good idea, so is a sleeve or truss of some sort.
Is there anyone that makes a good gusset/truss kit or am I better off going to someone and having it done?

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Is there anyone that makes a good gusset/truss kit or am I better off going to someone and having it done?
There are several kits, if you can do the welding it's a good way to go.

For sleeves - Poly Performance has a nice setup. This requires several holes to be drilled into the axle tubes, the sleeve slides in and gets plug welded to the housing. This does limit you from going to aftermarket 35 spline axle shafts, however this is a very common way to strengthen a housing.

For trusses - The best for factory control arm mount/spring bucket Jeeps would be PureJeep's Backbone or River Raiders truss kit.

For C-gussets - I have Poly Performance's plate c-gussets, however I would prefer the PureJeep/Teraflex style solid chunk of steel c-gussets if I had to do it again. PureJeep also has a kit that includes the truss, c-gussets, front and rear control arm mount gussets for $150-$200..somewhere around there.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool, thanks guys. So do I need to do sleeves, gussets, and trusses to run 35s? Probably leaning towards KM2s.

·
Breaker of nice things
2,477 Posts
Cool, thanks guys. So do I need to do sleeves, gussets, and trusses to run 35s? Probably leaning towards KM2s.
You don't *need* them, but things like that are a good recommendation. I'm just running with just gussets at the moment. Those would be the first thing to do on my list.

It's another one of those "how you drive it" type of situations.

And those KM2's are one of the lightest tire options out today. You should have little to no problems whatsoever running them.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You don't *need* them, but things like that are a good recommendation. I'm just running with just gussets at the moment. Those would be the first thing to do on my list.

It's another one of those "how you drive it" type of situations.
Well said. I just have the gussets on mine, along with Synergy ball joints to keep my front axle happy with 35's. I take it easy on the trail and prefer to drive with my head rather than with a heavy right foot. If you plan to jump it and/or otherwise abuse your Jeep, you'd want to look into a truss or simply upgrade to a Dynatrac ProRock.

As far as stock 4.10 gears and a 6-speed, I'd consider the gearing to be perfect. 6th gear still pulls fine, but it's obviously a "fuel economy" overdrive gear. If you need power, you have 5 other gears to choose from. 6th is purely for fuel economy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts