JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know that the typical answer will almost always be to go bigger, but, hear me out.

I am beginning to collect my parts to repair/rebuild my front axle, which took a dump on me a couple weeks ago. Now, I know that I will be able to handle 37's with the axle, as well as my lift. HOWEVER, I am starting to have some mental conflicts.

First off, this is my daily driven 2-door. I'd rather not completely crap all over my mileage. A buddy of mine who some of you may remember (Slickwill) had 37" boggers and got about 100 miles out of a full tank. Right now I am at about 200 and am ok with that dropping a little. My commute isn't terribly far.

Next, the wife and I are starting to talk about having some kiddies. I know 2-doors are generally a pain in the dick with getting kids/carseats in, but, that it can be done. 35's wouldn't be terrible, but, I'm afraid of the 37's just putting it that extra bit higher and making it even more of a pain in the ass.

What do you think? I am actually trying to reason with myself on this and am kind of torn. Anybody else in a situation like mine that can shed a little light on either setup?

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
i think you and the wife should definitely have kids!!!!!!!!

but i see where you are coming from

i would say play around on some 35s and then make your decision... if you only had someone that had mounted 35s on a 5x5 bolt pattern lying in their garage until their front axel is fixed....

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think you and the wife should definitely have kids!!!!!!!!

but i see where you are coming from

i would say play around on some 35s and then make your decision... if you only had someone that had mounted 35s on a 5x5 bolt pattern lying in their garage until their front axel is fixed....
hahaha... you are the man, joe.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Without reading anything except the thread title, i say 37s.:D

corey d
Damn you. :D

Ok, cliff's notes version. Daily driver + kiddies on the horizon. Still 37's?

·
Registered
535 Posts
You should ask yourself what benifit will the 37's really give you that the 35's don't already have? If it's just that one extra big rock at MOAB that you really wanna climb and 37's will make it happen...it isn't worth it. If you need them for every place you go with your JK...then you might wanna get them.

·
Registered
406 Posts
All things being considered, you only raise the Jeep up 1" when you go from 35's to 37's. It's going to suck getting a car seat in there anyway, so you might as well take the plunge.:thefinger:

As for the DD side of things - mine is my DD also, and after jumping from 35" AT's to my 37" Mud Grapplers, I lost about .5 mpg. Look at it this way, your mileage already sucks, so is the .5 mpg really going to make that much difference to you?

JD

·
Registered
637 Posts
Tom go with the 37's you will be a happy boy its not that much of a difference and i dd mine and there isnt a big difference with the gas milage from the 35's so just do it :beer:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As for as the kiddies, climbing into the jeep will make them stronger.:D
I like the way you think. "I'm just doing it for the kids, honey..."

As for the DD side of things - mine is my DD also, and after jumping from 35" AT's to my 37" Mud Grapplers, I lost about .5 mpg. Look at it this way, your mileage already sucks, so is the .5 mpg really going to make that much difference to you?
Eh. I mean, I am willing to take the hit, but, I just don't want to end up getting 100 miles to a tank like Will. Unless he just drove like an ass. Hell, we had to stop 2 times on the way to rausch, and again when we got in town for him to fill up and I was still on my first tank. It's not necessarily JUST about the gas mileage. I was thinking more about the kids aspect of things. The mileage was a kick in the sack from day one.
Tom go with the 37's you will be a happy boy its not that much of a difference and i dd mine and there isnt a big difference with the gas milage from the 35's so just do it :beer:
Thanks Paulie. I love the way 37's look on a 4-door. Need to see a 2-door in person to get perspective. I'll be rolling on joe's 35's for a few days later this week and can use them as a starting point. Again, it all comes back to the practicality when we have kids.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have three car seats in a four door JK on 37s. My advice with a two door is to get a lift that supports both 35s and 37s, but start with 35s and see. With a baby coming you want to think about stability on the two door and access to the rear seat.

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
I would say only put shit on there you can take off quick. I just traded my 2 dr in for a 4 dr besacuse of the kiddies. My life is offically 10 times better. No more Tee Ball clay shit all over my seats. No more splilled sprite on my seats from when the kid crawls through the front. Plus he now rides in the middle, which is alot safer for him, and 2 adults, skinny ones can sit on either side. Bad thing is he is still close enough to flick his boogers on me.

All I can say is, if you love your jeeps as much as I do, and plan on having kids, just suck it up and go for the 4 dr now! Or when you see a great deal on one.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
My advice with a two door is to get a lift that supports both 35s and 37s, but start with 35s and see. With a baby coming you want to think about stability on the two door and access to the rear seat.
Running a Clayton 3.5" kit that netted me over 4". I can handle 35's easy, 37's with a little fender trim. Will have 35's on for a few days this week to see how I like them. Access to the rear seat in a 2-door already BLOWS without the old-school slide and tilt seats.

jkristie44 said:
I would say only put shit on there you can take off quick. I just traded my 2 dr in for a 4 dr besacuse of the kiddies. My life is offically 10 times better. No more Tee Ball clay shit all over my seats. No more splilled sprite on my seats from when the kid crawls through the front. Plus he rides in the middle, which is alot safer for him, and 2 adults, skinny ones can sit on either side. Bad thing is he is still close enough to flick his boogers on me.

All I can say is, if you love your jeeps as much as I do, and plan on having kids, just suck it up and go for the 4 dr now! Or when you see a great deal on one.
Too in love with my 2-door to trade for a 4, sorry. The wife just bought a 4-door sedan for kid hauling duties most of the time. Right now, mine is the designated dog transport and will be the occassional kid-mobile. Not worried about stuff on the seats, pull the plugs and hose 'em off. It's not really about 2 or 4 door, it's about the extra couple of inches of rubber.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Dont worry about the kid thing, I had 3 in that little ass back seat last weekend, 2 in car seats, the larger 'almost able to beat me up' teen stuffed in the middle, everyone laughing having a great time. Its not that much of a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
well once you put my shoes on you will have a better idea of where you want to go.

I can attest to the fact his lift will clear 37s with some minor trimming...

both are gonna look sick though

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Borrow a friends kid before making your own. :laughing: many don't listen and they cost way more than jeep mods.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
The real question here is can you afford it?
Hear me out....
37's are a big commitment....Youre running a D30 (beefed as you said) but you will still need to watch it and i know you like to wheel so you'll have to be careful and take into account that you MIGHT break something.
The question is, once you have the kid are you going to be able to drop the money to do the upgrades you need to do, or fix what you break?

I REALLY want to move to 37's but as a college student my income is....well lets just say its lacking lol. I'm afraid that if i make the move up I'll be fucked when I accidentally break something and have to replace it.
I feel like you may be in a similar boat with the kid thing... BUT i definitely don't know your finances just tossing out a different perspective.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'd say go bigger too, but, I got rid of my 01 TJ, cuz it was a PITA to keep flippin the seat back n forth to get my daughter in her seat, that was one of the biggest reasons why I got the 4 dr

1 - 20 of 32 Posts