JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going to be upgrading to larger tires from my 32" stock tires, likely onto new 18" wheels.

The overall diameter of the Nitto Trail Grappler M/T, LT295/70R18 is 34.57", while the the diameter of the Nitto Trail Grappler M/T, 35x12.50R18LT is 35.04". The kicker is it'll run me an extra $235 for four "true" 35's as opposed to the LT295s.

My question is this: other than about 0.47" total diameter, what am I giving up by going with the LT295? Is it a width/footprint thing? If they are exactly equal other than diameter, I can live with 34.57" for $235 less. Is the 35" somehow a better made/suited tire for off-road? What am I getting other than half an inch for $235?

Thanks!

·
Registered
875 Posts
The 295-70R18 is the metric equivalant to a 35 12.50R18, the metric sizes usually run smaller in diameter as well as smaller in width. If you can live with the slight difference in height and width and the sidewall reading 295-70R18 instead of 35 12.50R18 then go for it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Got the 295's

I have the Nitto 295 70R18 trail grapplers and love em. According to the web site they list them at the 34.57 diameter and 11.73 width. The width is pretty much right on but the diameter is closer to 34.15, which is about 3/8 of an inch smaller than they list. I also compared them to the Nitto trail grappler 35x12.50 18's and they are only about 1/2 inch smaller in diameter, which is not enough to notice (the 35x12.50's are not 35.04 either they are closer to 34.45 inches).

I'm not just throwing numbers out I actually measured both tires while mounted on rims (marking the tire, roll the tire, measure then divide by 3.1416).

Now as far as the width, the 35x12.50's are about 1 1/4 inches wider, to me it wasn't a big deal but you can definitley notice the difference between the two tires in width. Hope this helps....When looking to buy the tires I actually compared apples to apples....I mean tires to tires:beer:

JJ

·
Registered
328 Posts
Nitto doesn't make the 315/70-18 in the trail grappler tire. That would have been the tire I would have got.......................

JJ

·
Registered
875 Posts
Jeeperjk you are correct, the 315 is a metric 35 but the trail grappler doesn't come in 315 so thats why i mentiond the 295 as the metric equiv.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I have the Nitto Trail M/T's 295/70 So far they are the best tire I've ever had they are pretty quite and look/perform awsome. If you have a preference on what side to put outward make sure you tell them and be very upfront about it. When I got mine put on I told him "style" side out and he said "ok" but then I noticed that they were putting them on wrong and they had to do it over which did'nt make anyone happy. The tire is thinner then the 35 but that is the only thing noticable when they are next to each other. You are going to be very happy with this tire!!:beer:

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
I have the Nitto Trail M/T's 295/70 So far they are the best tire I've ever had they are pretty quite and look/perform awsome. If you have a preference on what side to put outward make sure you tell them and be very upfront about it. When I got mine put on I told him "style" side out and he said "ok" but then I noticed that they were putting them on wrong and they had to do it over which did'nt make anyone happy. The tire is thinner then the 35 but that is the only thing noticable when they are next to each other. You are going to be very happy with this tire!!:beer:
I've never heard of that before, what does it mean?

Edit... never mind I just looked at the website. One side offers Stylized Lettering and the other side offers Traditional Lettering.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Can I jump in for a minute? So, can I put a LT 295 on a stock 08 JK rim which is a 16.

I unfortunately have been banned by my wife from buying anymore rims/tires, B/C I still have a set(5) of 32's on 15" rims from my TJ that I sold last week, used less than 1k miles.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Can I jump in for a minute? So, can I put a LT 295 on a stock 08 JK rim which is a 16.

I unfortunately have been banned by my wife from buying anymore rims/tires, B/C I still have a set(5) of 32's on 15" rims from my TJ that I sold last week, used less than 1k miles.
I dont know if they make a 295 for a 16 inch rim. I have been searching and can't find one. If they do you would need at least a 2 inch lift and wheel spacers or else they would rub. I have a 2.5 inch lift and my fronts rub a little on a full turn so Im getting spacers.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I've never heard of that before, what does it mean?

Edit... never mind I just looked at the website. One side offers Stylized Lettering and the other side offers Traditional Lettering.
Yep, you got it. The stylized side has more aggresive side wall tread too.:beer:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the Nitto 295 70R18 trail grapplers and love em. According to the web site they list them at the 34.57 diameter and 11.73 width. The width is pretty much right on but the diameter is closer to 34.15, which is about 3/8 of an inch smaller than they list. I also compared them to the Nitto trail grappler 35x12.50 18's and they are only about 1/2 inch smaller in diameter, which is not enough to notice (the 35x12.50's are not 35.04 either they are closer to 34.45 inches).

I'm not just throwing numbers out I actually measured both tires while mounted on rims (marking the tire, roll the tire, measure then divide by 3.1416).

Now as far as the width, the 35x12.50's are about 1 1/4 inches wider, to me it wasn't a big deal but you can definitley notice the difference between the two tires in width. Hope this helps....When looking to buy the tires I actually compared apples to apples....I mean tires to tires:beer:

JJ
Thanks for the great info, especially on the "real life" tire size and width difference. As this is my DD, I'm assuming the slightly more narrow 295 tire will reduce noise and improve street manners, without sacrificing too much performance on the trail?

Looking forward to my new wheels/tires! I guess re-gearing is next, as I understand 3.73 just isn't going to cut it with 34+" tires... argh, it never ends!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

JJ
Hey JJ, I saw your Jeep pics, looks sharp, and I liked seeing the tires to get an idea what they look like on.

Two quick questions:

1) do you have the 295 spare sitting on the stock spare carrier? Any concerns about weight, etc.?

2) Love the relocated brake lights to the lugs. Did you by a kit or homemade? Great idea.

Thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts

Now as far as the width, the 35x12.50's are about 1 1/4 inches wider, to me
JJ
JJ which lift did you use and how much height did it add? How tall are the 295's?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found a great deal on the 35" Trail Grapplers, so I'm doing four of those, plus an LT285 Trail Grappler as a spare, all on 18" XD Series XD778 Monster wheels. Can't wait!

Thanks for everyone's feedback on this.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Tires

Chris sorry I haven't got back with you but I have been in and out of town and just haven't been paying attention to the posts. I see you've made your purchase and I think you'll really like the tires.

I have the spare mounted on the stock tire mount for now but will eventually change that for another type of mount and yes with the pounding off road I am worried about the weight of the tire. What I probably will do since I have the Rugged Ridge XHD rear bumper will be to add their XHD tire carrier mount later on to the bumper.

The third brake light I have is the "Delta Waterproof Lug Nut Light" and can purchased at http://www.quadratec.com/products/16181_101.htm for about $30.00.

Chatter I am running a 2 1/2" coil lift with additional 3/4" coil spacers in the front to even the rake out due to the extra weight of the winch and bumper.
I like my lift but I wish I would have found this site first, these guys on here have a wealth of information and after reading a shit load of threads I would have went with another lift rather than the one I have now.

Hope this helps...............

JJ

·
Registered
98 Posts
JJ
Now I am curious....What lift do you have? And what would you have gotten? :)
Thanks

Chris sorry I haven't got back with you but I have been in and out of town and just haven't been paying attention to the posts. I see you've made your purchase and I think you'll really like the tires.

I have the spare mounted on the stock tire mount for now but will eventually change that for another type of mount and yes with the pounding off road I am worried about the weight of the tire. What I probably will do since I have the Rugged Ridge XHD rear bumper will be to add their XHD tire carrier mount later on to the bumper.

The third brake light I have is the "Delta Waterproof Lug Nut Light" and can purchased at http://www.quadratec.com/products/16181_101.htm for about $30.00.

Chatter I am running a 2 1/2" coil lift with additional 3/4" coil spacers in the front to even the rake out due to the extra weight of the winch and bumper.
I like my lift but I wish I would have found this site first, these guys on here have a wealth of information and after reading a shit load of threads I would have went with another lift rather than the one I have now.

Hope this helps...............

JJ

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Unmounted (and therefore uncompressed by Jeep weight) the 35x12.5x18 Terra Grapplers I just got measure 34.68" tall and 12.74" wide (12" across is the contact width, the rest is the side tread).

Can't help you on the backspacing; I got mine mounted on XD Series Monsters with 4.5" backspacing with no rubbing.

I hear the Terra grapplers run wide, if that's the case, can someone tell me the backspace needed to clear a 35x12.5x17? I hear they run about 13.19" wide irl...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts