JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about what I want to do with my new 2012 2 door JK in the next year or two. Someday I would like 35" tires, a 2.5" lift and 4.88 gears. I want to do in stages so I can afford it!

I don't have alot of plans to go crazy off roading, just would like to increase the height 2.5". But my dealer is telling me that with a Teleraflex 2.5" lift that 35" tires will rub, even with after market wheels with a smaller offset. Is it true that with 2.5" lift and different wheels, I will still get rubbing?

If so then I assume the biggest tires that would fit a 2.5" lift are 33'? And if I go with 33" tires I assume I can use the stock 17" wheels. I believe the stock tires are 32", so I don't know what one inch would buy me. Thanks for your input.

JC

P.S. If I go with a 2.5" lift and 33" tires, will it look funny? I mean, will there be too much space around the tires to make it look strange?

·
Registered
437 Posts
You should be able to run 35s on a 2.5"lift. Might have to extend the bumpstops to prevent rubbing while flexing, but you shouldn't have any frame or control arm rubbing if you use spacers with stock wheels, or aftermarket wheels with 4.5" backspacing.

I'm running 35s on stock suspension and they don't rub, just had to add flat fenders. But if I flex, it's going to hit the fenders HARD.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Thinking about what I want to do with my new 2012 2 door JK in the next year or two. Someday I would like 35" tires, a 2.5" lift and 4.88 gears. I want to do in stages so I can afford it!

I don't have alot of plans to go crazy off roading, just would like to increase the height 2.5". But my dealer is telling me that with a Teleraflex 2.5" lift that 35" tires will rub, even with after market wheels with a smaller offset. Is it true that with 2.5" lift and different wheels, I will still get rubbing?

If so then I assume the biggest tires that would fit a 2.5" lift are 33'? And if I go with 33" tires I assume I can use the stock 17" wheels. I believe the stock tires are 32", so I don't know what one inch would buy me. Thanks for your input.

JC

P.S. If I go with a 2.5" lift and 33" tires, will it look funny? I mean, will there be too much space around the tires to make it look strange?
Nope you can run up to 40" tires with a 2.5" lift, flat fenders, pinch seam trimming and proper length bumpstops (2.5-4" depending on trimming). 35s can be run with no lift, flat flares, pinch seam trimming and stock to 1" bumpstops depending on trimming. 2.5" lift with stock flares can run 35s with 3" bumpstops.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Your dealer doesn't know what he's talking about...

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Your dealer is an idiot and only knows stock vehicles. The last place you should be getting advise about modifying a Jeep is a dealer. There are plenty of forums to read and get accurate information as well as 4 wheel drive centers all over the country.

·
JKO Dickhead
3,522 Posts
Your dealer doesn't know what he's talking about...
Your dealer is an idiot and only knows stock vehicles. The last place you should be getting advise about modifying a Jeep is a dealer. There are plenty of forums to read and get accurate information as well as 4 wheel drive centers all over the country.
There are literally hundreds of us running 35's on 2.5 lifts with room to spare.. it's a great setup

·
Registered
915 Posts
35's on 2.5" will look great

See all of the above comments

Find another dealer. If they are that ignorant to that setup then they are likely not mod friendly to begin with. That might matter later.

:beer:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input.

It is not the jeep dealer salesman talking to me but the service guy who supposedly does these alot. But anyway I don't know of anyone in the Hudson Valley here besides the Jeep dealer who does this kind of work.

I decided to go with the Teraflex 2.5" budget boost (with new shocks) for $510 from Quadratec. Tires and wheels will come next year. I figure by then the stock tires which have 24,000 miles on them will be ready to be replaced anyway.

But if anyone can give me some advice on finding a local 4x4 guy, that would be nice. I Googled that and found nothing where I live!

JC

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Thanks for the input.

It is not the jeep dealer salesman talking to me but the service guy who supposedly does these alot. But anyway I don't know of anyone in the Hudson Valley here besides the Jeep dealer who does this kind of work.

I decided to go with the Teraflex 2.5" budget boost (with new shocks) for $510 from Quadratec. Tires and wheels will come next year. I figure by then the stock tires which have 24,000 miles on them will be ready to be replaced anyway.

But if anyone can give me some advice on finding a local 4x4 guy, that would be nice. I Googled that and found nothing where I live!

JC
Install the 2.5" BB yourself. It is very easy.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On another forum someone gave me a lead and I found JVS in New Windsor, NY, who installs mods and repairs Jeep. He wants about $450 to install the Budget Boost with shocks.

I will consider him if it looks like I can't do the install myself.

JC

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
On another forum someone gave me a lead and I found JVS in New Windsor, NY, who installs mods and repairs Jeep. He wants about $450 to install the Budget Boost with shocks.

I will consider him if it looks like I can't do the install myself.

JC
Ouch! For that amount of money, you could buy the tools, charge yourself shop labor rates, and still come out ahead. :lol:

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
450 to install a Budget Boost, damn, time to quit my job and move there...

·
Registered
156 Posts
There are literally hundreds of us running 35's on 2.5 lifts with room to spare.. it's a great setup
yep. 35s and only 2" lift

·
JKO Dickhead
3,522 Posts
We could walk you through the whole install on here complete with pics probably !!!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Ouch! For that amount of money, you could buy the tools, charge yourself shop labor rates, and still come out ahead. :lol:
This. If he goes to a self service garage he could do the whole install on a lift with proper tools and have it done in 2 hours or so max.

·
Registered
199 Posts
x2 dealer/service guy doesn't know what he's talking about. I've been running 2.5 TF coils and 35's no problem, no rub......before that a spacer BB 2.5" , no problem, no rub......no trimming even required...great setup

·
Registered
437 Posts
Here's a pic of the 35s on stock suspension. Rugged Ridge flat flares.

And here's a pic of my previous 2-door with a 2.5" Teraflex Budget Boost and 4-door Rubicon springs (netted 3"+ overall)
I did the lift and spring replacement in my driveway. took me a few hours, but mostly because my floor jack wouldn't go high enough and I had to "improvise".

·
Registered
355 Posts
35's on bone stock suspension. Have the flat flares. Had to trim pinch seam and cut ends off front bumper. One inch bump stops rear. Very slight rubbing in front when flexed and steering on full left or right lock. Changing from soft factory stop to a no flex bump, which I predict will eliminate even this small rub. I actually could do nothing, but just want it perfect.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts