JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a brother-in-law who is an engineer (not the train kind). Last night I was telling him about the build I had in mind (manual Sport, 35" duratracs, 3" lift, 4.56 gears). He asserted that 35" tires were nothing short of suicide because they will be so difficult to handle at highway speeds. Can I please get a soundoff from some of you folks who have 35s and drive at highway speeds safely? He also blathered on that I would need a bunch of other upgrades to safely run 35s beyond a lift and gears (brakes, upgraded axles, other crap I didn't listen to because I was concentrating on not punching his face).

I really like the look of 35s, but I am not going to wheel that much and this will be a DD. Now I'm wondering if the 35s might be overkill...

·
Registered
619 Posts
Just because a person is educated doesn't mean they aren't a fucktard. Do what you said and add C'gussets for trail use and you will be fine for the most part. If your going to go 3" make sure it is a complete quality kit with some way of correcting the caster and recentering the axles otherwise it will drive like shit. I would recommend going 2 1/2 instead of 3 for a daily driver with 35's.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Jeep actually sells a JK with 35"s this year. It is a limited edition but if it was unsafe the liability would have kept them from doing it.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I always advocate brake upgrades for daily drivers when upgrading. Rotational mass and inertia are real.
The rest, meh. CJs, YJs, TJs and XJs have been doing it fairly consistently on weaker axles.
It is all about using the right parts to maintain or improve steering geometry and roll centers/instant centers.
I put about 65 000 km (40k miles) of highway driving with 37's. I did incorporate Rebel rear and Teraflex Big brakes into mine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whoah really? I thought I went through the whole lineup online while I was planning my build. I don't remember seeing that. Do you remember the name of the model or any other details?

·
Registered
338 Posts
I drove 80 miles a day on my 2010 sport for 2 friggin years to go to work and home on a teraflex leveling kit with 3:21's and an auto. Sucked ass on gas mileage but didn't have a single problem otherwise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just because a person is educated doesn't mean they aren't a fucktard. Do what you said and add C'gussets for trail use and you will be fine for the most part. If your going to go 3" make sure it is a complete quality kit with some way of correcting the caster and recentering the axles otherwise it will drive like shit. I would recommend going 2 1/2 instead of 3 for a daily driver with 35's.
Thank you

·
Registered
377 Posts
Jeep actually sells a JK with 35"s this year. It is a limited edition but if it was unsafe the liability would have kept them from doing it.
Whoah really? I thought I went through the whole lineup online while I was planning my build. I don't remember seeing that. Do you remember the name of the model or any other details?
It is the Redrock edition. They only made 50 of them.

...and I daily drive a 2 door w/37" bias plies. It is still more stable feeling than my 55 Buick and most 60's cars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not only do I run 35" Duratracs on my jk with a 3" lift as a dd... But i also ran 35" Duratracs on my 7.3 Excursion as a tow vehicle. NEvER have I had an issue with either. Ive taken the Excursion to Canada , Indiana, all over Mi hauling my old

Does he drive a Prius?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Friends don't let friends listen to engineers ;)

If I took his advice, I should have died since I put 30,000 plus miles on my 2 door JK on 37's.

It's a Jeep, not a Ferrari and if you don't try to drive it like one you will be fine.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Been DD highway for 4 years now on either 35 or 37 tires. 3 years for sure on 37" Irok.

No issues there.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I have 42000 miles on my 14 jkur with 2.5" rk lift and toyo 35's and live where speed limit is 80mph. We travel the speed limit and it handles great. It does however not stop as good as when I run my winter tires which are ko2 34x10.5-17's.

·
Registered
690 Posts
It is the Redrock edition. They only made 50 of them.

...and I daily drive a 2 door w/37" bias plies. It is still more stable feeling than my 55 Buick and most 60's cars.
I know, I've seen him do it. :koolaid:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I daily drive 37's on no lift currently lol --flat fenders and wheel spacers, lcog ftw! :thefinger:
(awaiting install of my lift in a few weeks)

I just cut off a generous amount of the pinch seam.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
I have a brother-in-law who is an engineer (not the train kind). Last night I was telling him about the build I had in mind (manual Sport, 35" duratracs, 3" lift, 4.56 gears). He asserted that 35" tires were nothing short of suicide because they will be so difficult to handle at highway speeds. Can I please get a soundoff from some of you folks who have 35s and drive at highway speeds safely? He also blathered on that I would need a bunch of other upgrades to safely run 35s beyond a lift and gears (brakes, upgraded axles, other crap I didn't listen to because I was concentrating on not punching his face).

I really like the look of 35s, but I am not going to wheel that much and this will be a DD. Now I'm wondering if the 35s might be overkill...
Your BIL needs to go back to school or go out and get some real world experience, or both. Back in the '80s people were having a come-apart over the CJ's (supposed) tendency to roll over too. Use some common sense people!

If everything all the naysayers say were actually true, the Wrangler would not exist. I also saw a news report a couple of years ago about some dork here in the Bay Area screaming for Jeep to recall all the wranglers or stop production, just because his developed death wobble.

Bottom line: Chicken Little is alive and well, and seems to have taken up temporary residence within your BIL. The scads of people running 35s, 37s, and a few even 40s on the streets, would seem to contradict his "wisdom."

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Engineers are funny guys..... ask him to draw a asshole on paper..... then ask him to make it shit....

I guess my 37's running 75 or 80mph doesn't count....

·
Registered
587 Posts
So all those Ford Raptors, and Hummer H2s that are roaming around that came from the factory with 35 inch tires must be unsafe too. Sounds like dude needs to load back up in his prius and hit the books. Either he's jealous of you, or he's a massive dick.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just cause "everyone is doing it" and there haven't been issues doesn't mean it's the safest thing to do.

Yes bigger tires will impact braking/handling etc. but probably no where near what the BIL thinks.

Big Brake upgrades is definitely a good idea when going up in tire size, that is the only real safety issue in my opinion, but even then, if you know the limitations and drive accordingly, everything should be fine. Like someone said, it's not a damn Ferrari, it's a Jeep.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts