JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume this type of question has been posed a million times but despite my search efforts I didn't see anything that would quite match what I'm looking for.

I have the 2" mopar lift on my 2-door rubicon and I also have Rugged Ridge flat fenders. So I have a good amount of room for tires now.

I like the factory rubicon wheels but now I'm convincing myself I need to get 35's on there.

Any issues I should consider? Do you think I will need any type of wheel spacer?

Any tire recommendations? I don't want to get too crazy with spending money on tires but I drive a lot of highway, but will use it out rock-crawling as well.

Is there some magic tire that would fit my needs? Any info would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
If you keep those wheels, you need spacers. www.spidertrax.com

They have some blem's in the outlet for 80 bucks or so for the pair. Tires.........Well, you will get 50 different answers on that one. Pro Comps seem to be on the cheaper end and seem to last for a while. My neighbor has the pro comp extream at's on his F250 and has about 25,000 miles and they look about 70 to 60 percent left on the tread.

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
I assume you are talking about the spacers.

No, They are the best. You don't want to go cheap on spacers. And use locktite.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what's the best way to figure out the proper tire size to get 35's on the stock rims? Better to go metric or standard measurements and does anyone have recommendations?

Thinking about the KM2 or something similar.

Also, would it be in my best interest to get a different rim to save on tires and spacers?

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
You can fit 35x12.5x17s no problem on your rims. You'll need spacers, which is likely $200-$250 and that's where you have to consider wheels. Bear in mind you'll soon want to re-gear if you go to 35s, which starts the "Just Empty Every Pocket" syndrome.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I ran the stock Moab wheels for about a year with Spidertrax spacers and 35x12.5/17 BFG KM2s and they worked great. There is one downside that I had with the stock wheels. The are really kind of flat and do not have that much of a dish to them. I had two cases where I rubbed my wheels against a rock and it destroyed my valve stem. That is usually not that big of a deal but since those have TPMS sensors that means they are connected and if you crush the valve stem you need a new sensor. They are about $60 and then you have to have you tire broken down, sensor installed and rebalanced. It is about a $80 fix when that happens. I ended up taking the sensors out and using a regular valve stem.

I eventually switched to after market wheels.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like the factory wheels so I'm going to stick with those. Ordered my spacers last night, and I just settled on tires.

It was between the BTG KM2 and the Nitto Trail Grappler M/T and I'm going to go ahead and get the Nitto. Seems quieter on the highway, but still good off road, and I can get them about $50 cheaper each.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
You should be OK for a while with the extra weight. You might need a spacer on the rear so you don't contact your bumper. You can give it a shot and see if it will fit.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Also, I have a new front bumper here today, but I'm not doing anything with the rear yet. Can I hold a 35" spare with the factory setup?
If you got the Nitto LT295/70 R17 then no you do not need anything but if you got the 35 12.5 then yes you will need a spacer because it will hit the bumper.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did get the 35 12.5 17

And also ordered a new bumper and tire swing. Figured I might as well do it right.

I didn't add the bump-stop extensions that came with the mopar kit. Think I may need to do that now?

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I'm not sure about the bump stop extentions, but you are definitely doing it right. What rear bumper did you get?

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I did get the 35 12.5 17

And also ordered a new bumper and tire swing. Figured I might as well do it right.

I didn't add the bump-stop extensions that came with the mopar kit. Think I may need to do that now?
From what I've just read you do need to add you bump stop ext.'s for 35 and up tires.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, spidertrax spacers are on ups out for delivery right now. As soon as those get here, we'll get these bad boys on, and put in the bump stops.

BTW, can't say enough good about spidertrax. I paid 2-day shipping to make sure I got them today, and yesterday both them and I noticed that it wasn't being tracked properly.

So, they overnighted (not even next day saver) another set to make sure I got them today. No whining, no complaining, they just did it to make sure I was happy. And I am.

Can't wait to get them on later today.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Yeah, spidertrax spacers are on ups out for delivery right now. As soon as those get here, we'll get these bad boys on, and put in the bump stops.

BTW, can't say enough good about spidertrax. I paid 2-day shipping to make sure I got them today, and yesterday both them and I noticed that it wasn't being tracked properly.

So, they overnighted (not even next day saver) another set to make sure I got them today. No whining, no complaining, they just did it to make sure I was happy. And I am.

Can't wait to get them on later today.
I'm jealous. I've been looking for some used and thought I had them but the guy won't write me back so I'm going to order new ones. I have to keep it on the down-low from the misses. I tried to order through Sridertrax but their out of stock so I have to go else where. Do you know a cheap place? How are you enjoying your Nitto's? I'm getting ready for my first rotation and I still have the little nubs on the surface...their awsome I also love the way they grip the rocks and have not had any issues with little rocks getting stuck.

·
Registered
866 Posts
My favorite tire, having been inNew England until fall of 2008, is the TRXUS MT. The best MT for a Jeep that is going to also spend time as a DD. Fantastic wet traction and beats all MT on the road in snowy conditions. And they won't completely break the bank.
I carried my kids in my Jeep with confidence that the rubber wasn't going to send me off road when I didn't want to go.
I'm including TRXUS MT 37x12.5 on Cragar steel wheels when I do my lift. I will put my stock Rubicon wheels and tires on Craigs List along with the front seats when I put in the Master Craft suspension seats, and the factory fenders flares.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts