JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen some pictures so I assume a 35" tire fits on the stock rear carrier without modification? The particular tire I'm looking at will be on a 4.5 backspaced wheel and the whole package will weigh in about 16 lbs heavier than stock.

Am I going to be in good shape?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm proof of a crinked tailgate, every bump you hit you can hear the tailgate crink in and out and my tire wasn't even quite that big:bawling:

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I'm proof of a crinked tailgate, every bump you hit you can hear the tailgate crink in and out and my tire wasn't even quite that big:bawling:
Yeah, I wasn't talkin out my butt :D I caught my itty bitty 33" on a ledge and tweak my gate. Every little bump in the road resulted in a machine gun rattle sheetmetal pop, pop, pop!!! Honestly I'm lucky I didn't rip the tailgate off.

It would startle the shit out of me every time.

Am I going to be okay with something like this: http://www.quadratec.com/products/22202_1001.htm
Mmmmm, doubt it.

Bumper mounted tire swing is going to be the ticket unless you stick to the mall parking lot. :smokin:

I know it aint what you want to hear but "do it once, do it right"

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I have the Orfab carrier w/o cans.
My spotwelds started to pull also.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Yeah, add me to the list of guys who rean with a larger wheel / tire on the gate. The thing would make the gate flex a lot and I'm sure would have caused some damage had I left it on.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the Orfab carrier w/o cans.
My spotwelds started to pull also.
The spotwelds pulled with or without the Orfab carrier? I am assuming without but i have to ask cuz I think the Orfab carrier is gonna get the nod on my heep:bounce:

Oh ya the original thread question!!! I have a 35 mounted to my tailgate and I hate it!!!!!! It is always rattling the tailgate and i am pretty sure its gonna screw it up soon!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
The spotwelds pulled with or without the Orfab carrier? I am assuming without but i have to ask cuz I think the Orfab carrier is gonna get the nod on my heep:bounce:

Oh ya the original thread question!!! I have a 35 mounted to my tailgate and I hate it!!!!!! It is always rattling the tailgate and i am pretty sure its gonna screw it up soon!
Before the Orfab
Now I have the Orfab and use the Bestop rack that ataches to where the t/gate tire carrier was.
Great for my tent, sleepingbags, table and chairs.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Before the Orfab
Now I have the Orfab and use the Bestop rack that ataches to where the t/gate tire carrier was.
Great for my tent, sleepingbags, table and chairs.
You got any pics of that set up?

And to the OP, I had my 35" on the stock carrier for a short time - never offroad - and my gate doesn't line up any more and it rattled like hell when the tire was on there.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
You got any pics of that set up?

And to the OP, I had my 35" on the stock carrier for a short time - never offroad - and my gate doesn't line up any more and it rattled like hell when the tire was on there.
Here is a couple:

The tote is what holds mattress, cooking stuff, etc.
The tent, 2 chairs and roll up table also mount up there.
I can get some detailed pics if you want.
Here it is:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12034_207_07.htm
and tray
http://www.quadratec.com/products/12034_900_07.htm
It is almost the width of the Jeep.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thanks. I was looking to get the Olympic rack for inside the Jeep, but I just got a Trektop and don't think that's going to work anymore. This looks like a good option. :beer:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts