JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So who is doing it? Any pics? Did you have to fab/buy an adapter of some sort and can the tailgate handle it?

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Really?

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
did it for a couple months out of necessity, then I got an orfab and am very happy. That thing would bounce like crazy even on the highway

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
110 lbs of wheel and tire on my stock carrier....almost 58K miles and no issues, but I seem to be the exception to the norm. I have a 1 1/4" spacer between the tire and carrier.

I think the reason I haven't had any issues is because the bottom of the tire presses against the bumper when the tailgate is closed....so no bouncing. I normally take it off when I wheel, though.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
110 lbs of wheel and tire on my stock carrier....almost 58K miles and no issues, but I seem to be the exception to the norm. I have a 1 1/4" spacer between the tire and carrier.

I think the reason I haven't had any issues is because the bottom of the tire presses against the bumper when the tailgate is closed....so no bouncing. I normally take it off when I wheel, though.
That's how mine was for about 20k. Had a wheel spacer on it and daystar bumps. Killing the tire wiggle is key. Never took mine off for trails though.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I'll prolly jinx myself, but I've been running a 35" KM2 on my stock tire carrier for four months with no bouncing, no rattling, no sign of metal fatigue. The tire just sits lightly on the stock bumper. Did not extend the bump stops. No spacer. I bought a spare tire relocation bracket but never took it out of the box.

And I wheel at least twice a month, drive 78 miles/day, half on shitty roads.

<knocks on wood> Not a problem for me. YMMV.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Don't do it, the majority of me jeep travel is off road. I can tell you with a 33" tire my tailgate started falling apart. :shaking:

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Don't do it, the majority of me jeep travel is off road. I can tell you with a 33" tire my tailgate started falling apart. :shaking:
Was it hanging in mid air? ..

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Carrying the 35 on the stock carrier would only be temporary until cash allows for a new bumper with tire carrier. I just don't want to be "that guy" :shaking:with 4 nice 35s and my stock 32 on the back. Not cool.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I am very close to getting KM2 35's and I will probably get this Smittybilt tire carrier to hold the spare:

http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/189.htm

I like it since you can keep the third brake light and I think I can rig my CB antenna to it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Dont we PM dirty for questions like this? :shaking:

·
CalmerThanYouAre
9,383 Posts
35" w/spacer no issues. I think what'll really fuck it up is letting it swing open and smack against the bumpstop with the extra weight.

·
Registered
136 Posts

Me too , and zero issues...but no spacer..

·
Registered
169 Posts
Have procomp 7089 wheel with a 35km2 on stock wheel carrier with no spacer for a year now and no issues I really don't open my tailgate all that much either so I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Had mine on for almost 11 months, with no issues, but just got a free tire carrier 2 weeks ago, so I can't show you a picture.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Almost 3 years now with a 35 on the stock tailgate with Daystar bumps. No Issues. Again the key here is that the tire sits snugly on the stock bumper, there is absolutely no movement. I can see that an aftermarket bumper that allows the tire to hang would cause issues.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts