JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to mount a 35 x 12.5 spare on a 2012 JKU. I eventually plan to upgrade the bumper, but I'd like to use the stock spare tire carrier for now. The tire will actually fit, but it's snug up against the bumper which I guess will be an annoyance if not an actual problem.

I've seen a few adapters to resolve the clearance problem (Rugged Ridge, I think) as well as extended bumpstops.

Can the stock carrier handle the weight of the 35" spare, or does it need some type of reinforcement?

How have others handled this?

Thanks in advance for any insight and assistance.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Most everyone recommends upgrading to a stronger carrier or bumper mounted swing arm for 35"+ tires.
I ran a 35 on 15" steelies for years on the stock carrier with no problems though. My ex still has the Jeep with them on it and I've not heard of any issues from her either.

If you only intend to run it short term there shouldn't be any problem, obviously it's still best to upgrade it and it's possible you will get some rattles the longer you run it.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I ran a 35 on the stock carrier for about 4 years with no issues.... Granted the worst wheeling I do is at Jeeptoberfest, Doubt it would hold if I were a Moab regular

·
Registered
587 Posts
Ran a 35" Nitto Trail Grappler on the stock carrier for about a year before I had a couple spot welds break. Didn't run tire bump stops, pretty sure that would've prevented the breaks.

Upgraded to a Teraflex hinge and I'm still running the stock carrier with a 37" Nitto Trail Grappler with tire bump stops. Been a couple months and no problems yet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also broke a multiple spot welds and had to replace the hinges once. I'd run it again but just be mindful of what to watch for. Currently running teraflex hinge and carrier and it's so much less noisy

·
Registered
912 Posts
You want it to be snug against the bumper. The flopping around will break the spot welds. Never had a problem with my 35 on it since it sat snug against the bumper.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Trail Grappler 35s were shaking my stock mount and tailgate on every bump. Upgraded to the Teraflex hinge plus their adapter that raises the tire (to clear the stock bumper) but does not bring it further off the tailgate (didn't want the extra leverage). Still stock mount on the tailgate. Very solid. Tire clears the bumper and sits just against the hinge for stability.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had a 35 mud grappler mounted on the stock carrier for several years. It was fine as long as it rested on the bumper but I rotate my spare in and once it started wearing it didn't rest on the bumper anymore. I also had the daystar bumpers but still broke welds and one of the fins on the rear door. I put the teraflex hinge on several months ago and love it. I'm still running the stock carrier.

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
I was running a 35 and now a 37 on the stock tailgate. but I removed some sheet metal from the inside of the tailgate so that I could add some real welds in addition to the spot welds. I was contemplating adding an internal metal frame, but it seems pretty sturdy as is.

I also built a custom carrier that allows the tire to sit further inboard so it is snug against the tailgate. this decreases the leverage exerted on the tailgate and reduces vibration. I've been doing this for nearly 2 years and everything, including the stock hinges, are still holding up fine.

if you are staying with the stock carrier, i'd recommend minimizing vibration as much as possible. the tire hitting the bumper is probably a blessing in disguise as it keeps everything tight and supports some of the weight.

·
Registered
2 door 2010 JK sport
913 Posts
I added the MorRyde hinges (they're cheap) and the stock carrier and have been running with a 35 now for more than a year with zero issues.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ran a 35" on the stock carrier for about a year, no issues with welds breaking or tailgate warping. Shut the tailgate about a month ago and noticed the tire shake...stock carrier has a 6" crack, ready to break into pieces. I'm now in the middle of a bumper chop/tire carrier build.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts