JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In looking to put 33's on a Rubicon, what is everyone's thought on using the factory wheels? What are the pros/cons?

I would be throwing a 2-3" lift on the vehicle and have no desire to go any larger than 33's.

·
Banned
3,216 Posts
Personnaly I feel stock wheels are a little skinny for running a 12.50 tire. There are lots of people doing it though. Keep in mind you will need to get spacers to run that wide of tires on the stockers. I say just get some steel wheels that are the proper width and BS for that wide of tire for not much more money.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
BFG KM2 285x70x17 is what I run on stock MOAB wheel which is 7.5" wide...this comes out to just a butt hair shy of 33"...no lift needed. What you must know is what the manufacturer recommends for wheel width for any given tire sizr...not all 33" tires are 12.5 wide...12.5 typically requires a minimum of 8.5" wide wheels...anything less and I wouldn't be putting my kids in the vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dustoff - That was the tire I was going to have the dealer swap to on a new Rubicon. I would do it this way so I can only pay upcharge to the BFG KM2's.
So your are convertible with traveling with your children in your rig using your stock rims?
I believe the 285 BFG KM2's are 10.5" wide, correct?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I run 285x75/16 (32.6x10.5) on american racing 16x8. the rims have .4 inches more /or less BS(whichever means they stick out further). With no lift, connected sway bay and an extra 200 lbs of bumper and winch they have never rubbed

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Dustoff - That was the tire I was going to have the dealer swap to on a new Rubicon. I would do it this way so I can only pay upcharge to the BFG KM2's.
So your are convertible with traveling with your children in your rig using your stock rims?
I believe the 285 BFG KM2's are 10.5" wide, correct?
That's what I run as well. The ride is a little stiffer than the Rubi tires, but not unbearable to me. I was having some rubbing issues with the new Currie adjustable control arms, so I put on some Spiderflex 1.5" spacers. I do take the time to check the torque on them every couple of weeks or so. (They're holding up perfectly so far.) The spacers totally improved the ride and handling particularly with my OME 2" lift. No qualms whatsoever having these tires on the stock Rubi rims.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i just put 33s

In looking to put 33's on a Rubicon, what is everyone's thought on using the factory wheels? What are the pros/cons?

I would be throwing a 2-3" lift on the vehicle and have no desire to go any larger than 33's.
i just put 33's in mine with the stock 17s, getting a little rub at full turn. gunna put spacers on when i get the lift:grinpimp:

·
Registered
934 Posts
...typically requires a minimum of 8.5" wide wheels...anything less and I wouldn't be putting my kids in the vehicle.
What are you smokin? I would bet that 95% of all off-road tires currently mounted on earth are a 12.5 on a 8" rim.

I have put hundreds of thousands of miles on 12.5s on 8" wheels. This is the prefered set up for most wheelers.

7.5" might not be totally ideal, but it is totally safe.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
What are you smokin? I would bet that 95% of all off-road tires currently mounted on earth are a 12.5 on a 8" rim.

I have put hundreds of thousands of miles on 12.5s on 8" wheels. This is the prefered set up for most wheelers.

7.5" might not be totally ideal, but it is totally safe.

Like I said...no kids...just stick with the manufacturer's recommendation:shaking:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.