JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet another newbie tire question.

Just picked up a new 2014 Rubicon Unlimited this weekend. :D

The salesman mentioned they had a set of Rubicon wheels that were take offs from a lady that had purchased a new Rubicon but wanted the Sport wheels instead. :jawdrop:
Said they'd make me a good deal on the wheels if I bought the Sport. In the end I bought the lone Rubicon they had on the lot. Love it, love it, love it.

As I understand it, and someone correct me if I'm wrong ;), the Rubicon comes with 32" tires and has 2" more ground clearance than the Sport. This coming from the salesman so could be BS, or just could be the taller tires give it a 2" clearance advantage over the Sport? Love the agressive tires that came on my Rubicon, but at $300+ per tire I'd like them to last as long as possible. I'm thinking about putting together a set of 33" -35" tires on an extra set of OEM rims to use off road as I've noticed some trails/events require a minimum of 33" tires. Ninety percent of my use will be on road, driving less than 9,000 miles a year. I will be taking the Jeep offroad at the ORV park in Hot Springs and at Byrd's in Oark as well as forest service roads (goat trails). Also planning a South Dakota, Utah, Colorado trip next Summer. Most off roading in Arkansas is pretty rocky terrain, that's why I'm thinking a little taller tire and maybe an inch or two more suspension would be nice to have. I'm old and slow and tend to drive that way off road, so no airborne antics or climbing verticle rock walls are in the future for my Jeep. I know the stock Rubicon can likely handle anything I'll throw at it, but who can leave a Jeep bone stock with all the aftermarket goodies out there.

Would 33"-34" tires on Rubicon 17" rims (or even aftermarket 15" rims) and 1.5"-2" coil spacers get me to where I want to be. Not really wanting to put a lift on the Jeep at this point as my everyday tires would funny with a 2-3" lift. Maybe trim or replace the OEM fenders as well.

Thanks.

·
Registered
323 Posts
You could fir 34's on your stock rubi if you really wanted, but of course you need wheel spacers to help with the offset. But of course you will lose some flex since the tires will stuff slightly easier...nothing a mild spacer lift from any one of dozens of companies wont fix.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

Decided to go with the Teraflex 2" leveling kit and run the stock wheels and tires for now. Have the leveling kit in hand and headed to the tire shop for install. Was looking forward to doing the work with my son and brother this weekend but he'll have his shop full of hay equipment getting ready for cutting hay in a few weeks. 😞 Oh well, what's another $150 at this point.

I've seen on the net quite a few Rubicons running 33" and even 34" (315/70/17) tires with a leveling kit on the street with no problems. Just have to remember not to get crazy off the pavement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts