JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I found two sets of affordable wheels/tires (same price actually) 31" and 33".

I REEEEEAAAALLLLY want the 33's but I need a lift right? or is there anything else I can do to run 33's without it?

I've heard something about pinching seams and/or trimming fenders, but I have no idea what that means/how costly/long-term effects. I'm not completely opposed to a cheaper lift if someone could recommend something, but I've also heard the lift causes the dreaded "deathwobble."

I have to make this decision by tonight/tomorrow morning. So any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
get the 33's and make them work if theyre the same price and such a good deal. you should be able to fit them, but you might not be able to wheel them right away. you might have to take a jig saw to your fenders, you might not. the stock rubicons come with 32's, and you can pick up either rubicon suspension parts or a budget boost on the cheap. I don't think it'll be so tight you cant drive on 33's and stock jk suspension though. you might just have to limit turning some, or do some trimming with a jigsaw or sawzall if you hear rubbing.

·
Registered
253 Posts
So I found two sets of affordable wheels/tires (same price actually) 31" and 33".

I REEEEEAAAALLLLY want the 33's but I need a lift right? or is there anything else I can do to run 33's without it?

I've heard something about pinching seams and/or trimming fenders, but I have no idea what that means/how costly/long-term effects. I'm not completely opposed to a cheaper lift if someone could recommend something, but I've also heard the lift causes the dreaded "deathwobble."

I have to make this decision by tonight/tomorrow morning. So any feedback would be appreciated.
I installed 33 BFG All Terrains with a stock X; slight rub on the front sway bar. Since I have installed the Black Diamond budget buster and have no problem at all.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
I've got a nice set of 33's combo wheels and tires I'll sell you. Most 33's aren't a true 33 inch tire either.... Like the other guy said a budget boost is an inexpensive way to get some space between the tire and fender or do light trimming...:)

·
Breaker of nice things
2,477 Posts
Get the 33's and throw on a $120 Teraflex Leveling Kit and Spidertrax spacers. Or, if you don't want to use the wheel spacers, then just adjust your steering stops.

·
Registered
327 Posts
When I bought my JK X it was all stock except for the 33' tires. It worked fine most of the time but when wheeling there was some rub, knocked fender clips off etc. Eventually lift and it'll all be good ;)

·
Registered
437 Posts

33s will be fine so buy mine!!
Here's the link: http://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39144

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ha! Nice plug @Jeeper! But the price of these is SIGNIFICANTLY lower... wheels aren't as badass, but I'll get to that.

Thanks all for the responses... You guys are really helpin' a newbie out! At least I know my options now. I just talked to the guy at the local 4wd store and he said I wouldn't need anything... MAYBE to have the fenders trimmed, but he seems to believe that its all good... SO worst case scenario I'm gonna get 'em and deal with any problems as they come up.

Hopefully I'll post pics this weekend! (I am considering painting the wheels black, too... stay tuned for next post about that. lol) Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Ha! Nice plug @Jeeper! But the price of these is SIGNIFICANTLY lower... wheels aren't as badass, but I'll get to that.

Thanks all for the responses... You guys are really helpin' a newbie out! At least I know my options now. I just talked to the guy at the local 4wd store and he said I wouldn't need anything... MAYBE to have the fenders trimmed, but he seems to believe that its all good... SO worst case scenario I'm gonna get 'em and deal with any problems as they come up.

Hopefully I'll post pics this weekend! (I am considering painting the wheels black, too... stay tuned for next post about that. lol) Thanks again!
glad to hear its working out. make sure you do some research before you paint them to help make sure the paint lasts. clean it, scuff it, xylene and dry and you should be ready to paint. just dont paint them while still ON the jeep, haha

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well... unfortunately, the seller sold before I could get a chance to meet because of schedule conflicts... so I'm back to square 1. :hmph:
But I'm on every craigslist city from the Keys to Savannah looking for something else... so hopefully something pops up soon. Wish me luck.

I've decided to skip the wheel painting for now, and instead decided to duricolor coat the grille this weekend instead. (And maybe the door hinges if I'm feeling cocky.) Read a bunch of board "how-to's" and doesn't seem beyond my doing... so I'm in.

P.S. skipping painting the rims for now because I'm saving for these: :stirthepot:
http://shop.vendio.com/crowderscustomizing/item/2061956148/?s=1288252562
(insert drool marks here)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
there's two links offered in this thread for 33's. try crazedlist.org is good for multiple area craigslist searching if you dont already have something like that

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
there's two links offered in this thread for 33's. try crazedlist.org is good for multiple area craigslist searching if you dont already have something like that
Awesome link, man! Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Well... unfortunately, the seller sold before I could get a chance to meet because of schedule conflicts... so I'm back to square 1. :hmph:
But I'm on every craigslist city from the Keys to Savannah looking for something else... so hopefully something pops up soon. Wish me luck.

I've decided to skip the wheel painting for now, and instead decided to duricolor coat the grille this weekend instead. (And maybe the door hinges if I'm feeling cocky.) Read a bunch of board "how-to's" and doesn't seem beyond my doing... so I'm in.

P.S. skipping painting the rims for now because I'm saving for these: :stirthepot:
http://shop.vendio.com/crowderscustomizing/item/2061956148/?s=1288252562
(insert drool marks here)
Dude. Those look just like mine, but with a little less black. DC Torque wheels. You know you want my wheels :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dude. Those look just like mine, but with a little less black. DC Torque wheels. You know you want my wheels :D
If I had $1600 in available cash, I probably would. If you decide to drop the price in the near future and I haven't shelled out what I do have... drop me a line. They are some sweet wheels.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just an FYI... Found some BRAND new Rubi take off's... 255/75R17 BFG MTs in Jacksonville... going to pick up tomorrow AM... Pics to come. :bounce::bounce::bounce:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts