JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pair of driving lights in the front and a pair of back up, trail lights in the back of the JK. I have a 3 position on-off-on switch. I will never run both sets of lights at the same time. Can I wire them to the 3 way switch with a relay? Trying to not have a lot of switches and holes in the dash. They are 55W lights. If it is possible anyone have a diagram I can follow?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
It is best to use a relay... I can't see why you wouldn't be able to run on/off/on switch. I'm at work and can't get you a pic, but maybe someone can chime in and get you one.

You will only be able to run one or the other with this switch.

Steve

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correct. I will run one or the other. I think it will work, but wanted some electric gurus to chime in before I burn my Jeep down

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would use two relays.

From battery, to a fuse holder (20 Amp), then to the common (terminal # 30) of one relay, then jumper over to common of the second relay. (16 to 18 ga. wire should do) I have mine tucked behind the glove box.

Take a switched 12 volt source (most tap into + of power outlet) to the common of the three way switch (middle??). Then from each switched leg of your three way, to coil + (86) of each relay. This will be the signal to tell the relay when to turn on/change state.

Then connect your front lights + to N.O. (87) of one relay, then do the same for the back lights to the second relay.

Coil - (85) of both relays, as well as - to both sets of lights should go to ground (or bat -).

hope this helps.:beer:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is awesome. Appreciate it. Had reread it a few times, made my head hurt. That's what I needed. Have to do it this weekend.
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Glad to help.
You will want to put the ("water-proof") fuse holder as close to the battery as possible, if it grounds out the entire ckt. will be protected.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts