JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal for a carrier to have these tool marks. Almost looks like it was shaved or something. I was told this was a new carrier by the member on here I bought it from. Not trying to bash him or anything, just wanna make sure I got what I was supposed to.

Overall shot

Close up of outer ring surface

Close up of where the spider gears go

Hopefully this is just how they come. I mean they are only 50 bucks so I guess you cant expect too much perfection. But I thought gears had to be dead on balanced and stuff.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Well for someones 2cents, I personally haven't seen a JK open carrier, but the factory carriers i have seen always had some casting/machining flaws. They aren't quite a finished product, as long as they are within spec, they ship out. I'd run it.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well for someones 2cents, I personally haven't seen a JK open carrier, but the factory carriers i have seen always had some casting/machining flaws. They aren't quite a finished product, as long as they are within spec, they ship out. I'd run it.
I respect your opinion and am hoping thats the case. It looks like just shitty ass tooling to me. On such a cheap part you cant expect much I guess. Ill let my installer decide if it would be bad to run it as a final opinion but I didnt want to take it down to him and have him be like "WTF did you bring me this hunk of grinded up shit for!?!". :shitstorm:

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, id like to know too...
:thefinger: I said I wasnt hatin. Lol... I just looked up a bunch of pics on the all knowing google and most looks similair. Some better, some worse but all pretty shitty looking. Guess thats just how carriers are.

BTW I got the carrier in the mail today :dustin:

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
:thefinger: I said I wasnt hatin. Lol... I just looked up a bunch of pics on the all knowing google and most looks similair. Some better, some worse but all pretty shitty looking. Guess thats just how carriers are.

BTW I got the carrier in the mail today :dustin:

I wasn't hating either. Just curious what others had to say.

I can assure you it was ordered through Marcus and didn't leave the box it came in until I sent it to you. It sat in my garage the whole time. If you have any issues with it ill refund you, buy I bought it new and I never did anything with it so im confident it'll work fine. For what it's worth, all I've seen are similar.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I've seen a few carriers and that one looks brand spanking new.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
On the second shot, is the gear surface disturbed or is it an optical illusion?

It looks typical of Inda Castings.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On the second shot, is the gear surface disturbed or is it an optical illusion?

It looks typical of Inda Castings.
There is one spot where the actual mounting surface is slightly disturbed. Nothing that a file wont take care of though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts