JKOwners Forum banner

3.5 Game Changer (Rocksport shocks) - Very Happy so far.

8K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  08JKUR33 
#1 ·
Just wanted to share my experience with the Metalcloak 3.5 Game Changer on my 2016 JKU RHR.
Ordering was a snap, gave me some great advise along with a discount. A+
Shipping was great, no damage, complete order, on time A+
Instructions were straight forward, thorough, and well thought out A+
Installation time was expected at 8 hours and took 7 with the exhaust spacers being done at the same time. A+
First Test Drive (on road)- Had to put on my stock wheels and tires to drive it over the tire shop to get the new tires and wheels 35X12.50. Noticed one of the wheel weights in the rear was hitting the rear sway bar bolt. Took off sway bar and drove it. Wow. I was impressed. Handled amazing even before checking any of the alignment. Handled so well I never put the rear sway bar back on. No yaw. No Sway. No Bumpsteer. No vibration even with stock Driveshafts. Quiet, firm but not stiff. I'm way impressed.
Now for off road - Articulated very well. No noises, little stiffer than I want but I'm sure that will get better with break in, a heavy bumper, full size spare and gear in the back. However, before the test was over, my rear drive shaft rubbed against the evap canister bracket, bent the canister bracket and ripped the driveshaft boot. Score just went from and A+ to A- (be sure to relocate your evap canister before doing any off road mods to your JK) - Just spend the $100 and buy on of the relocation kits. I bought the Nemesis and relocated it after this. Now I have to buy a $50 driveshaft boot. I wish this was step #1 in the instructions. It would have saved me $50 and the time its going to take to replace the boot. Only grading it to an A- since I wish it was in the instructions. Suspension system is still right on.

So far I'm really happy with the suspension system. They did a fine job on everything. Top notch and far and above what I've experienced with other manufactures. If you are looking a suspension system that does well at 85+MPH on the road and great articulation off road. This might just be the system you are looking for. More to come in the future when I get some miles and rocks behind me. Moab and Silverton trip is coming up in July. Between those two places, I should have a good summary of how it held up.

BTW - Another thing that would be nice to have in the instructions is the fact that the rear springs are going to have a bow effect going on unless you order the fix kit they have for that. I honestly would recommend making those part of the system. I know if raises the price but if they made the spring box fix kit, there is an obvious need for it.

Great Job Metalcloak! I'm a happy customer and will be back for more. Maybe the belly skid kit next.

See less See more
Reactions: wapes
#2 ·
Update - After Off Road

So here's a quick update after some off-roading. Fabricated and installed a 500lb capacity slide and rack system so that I could easy access my large ice chest, ARB, and cooking gear without the rest of my gear falling down behind this stuff when pulled out. I'm guessing this added about 80lbs dry. I then packed my jeep from floor to ceiling with about 300-400lbs of gear, invited my buddy and his son to join me and my son on a three day jeep run across the Mojave Road Trail from Afton Canyon to the Mojave River and back again in reverse (direction, not gear). The extra gear and passengers were definitely noticeable but was not sagging in the back as I would have expected. Jeep sat nice and level. We did everything from door height water crossings, sloppy mud, 65mph dirt roads, washes, sand dunes, rocks, boulder sections, woops, hill climbs, freeway, etc.. Summary, this lift is amazing. The only noticeable issue that will be an easy fix is removing some of my bump stops after I change my fenders. I am running all four in the rear at the moment and noticed that when we hit a bottom out high speed dip, I could feel the bump stops. However, I was impressed at how soft of a bottom out it was. I think the rubber factory along with the rubber MC bumps are a good compliment and soften things up when this does occasionally happen. I'm blown away at this lift. I've driven my friend's JK with the Rubicon Express 3.5 and I can feel the road vibration with his but not at all with the MC. The control arms joints on the MC are a definite improvement over the Rubicon Express lift. I'm way impressed and can't wait to see more folks get this lift installed. More manufactures need to be paying attention to MC and start making their control joints in a similar fashion. Way to go MC, you guys are leaving the competition in the dust. I'm loving it.:grin2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.