JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been looking into a Diesel engine in a Jeep, this is a idea. Using the Jeep 3.0L engine and the 6L80 or the 6L90 GM trans, because the 8 speed i think is not ready.

We found some engines, we just need to get them. That is going to be the hard part, something we are going to work on in 2014.

Attachments

·
Registered
969 Posts
Will it be ready by Feb, I'll be in Vegas?!

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I see the 'Gale Banks' sticker on the valve cover...sweeeet.What's the specs?

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
The Banks numbers are impressive but if money were no object, that v8 Cummins coming in the Titan next year would be on my short list. :th_pray:
None of it is going to mater to me since i don't know that i could ever justify the cost of a engine swap that would likely run $25k, just like the 4bt swap.

Sure, i'd love the near unlimited power, but for that money, i'd just buy a buggy and be done.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Banks numbers are impressive but if money were no object, that v8 Cummins coming in the Titan next year would be on my short list. :th_pray:
We are looking into the 5.0L in the Titan, but I'm working a deal on the 3.0L for now.

·
Registered
990 Posts
If you need a test mule, I know of a silver Jeep in the east bay that is in dire need of a Diesel Swap :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
I would love a diesel JK but the issues I see are cost of the swap and performance/economy limitations of modern passenger cars thanks to Bull Shite EPA restrictions. Diesel Exhaust Fluid, Diesel Particulate Filters, Regeneration cycles, etc. CAT is getting completely out of the on-highway diesel game due to all of the restrictions.

I hope you guys luck in your endeavor because if you can get it to be affordable, perform well, and still be an emissions legal swap I'd be all in on selling a kidney.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Just read that Banks article and I will say I like the looks of this engine. Hmmm....

·
Registered
990 Posts
Yea I thought the same thing. I called banks and had them ad me to their list to notify when they come available. No pricing yet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
979 Posts
I would love a diesel JK but the issues I see are cost of the swap and performance/economy limitations of modern passenger cars thanks to Bull Shite EPA restrictions. Diesel Exhaust Fluid, Diesel Particulate Filters, Regeneration cycles, etc. CAT is getting completely out of the on-highway diesel game due to all of the restrictions.

I hope you guys luck in your endeavor because if you can get it to be affordable, perform well, and still be an emissions legal swap I'd be all in on selling a kidney.
Sort of. The emissions laws are getting to the point of ridiculous now. It seems like they have reached the point where they are just saying "well, what limits can we put on them now?". But CAT actually was already out of the on highway game, back when DEF came to be standard. Now, the regulations are going to start applying to off highway vehicles as well. I've seen some new cat trucks running around these parts, so they must be back in.

It's a real piss off being from a place that isn't so pollution controlled. Yes, your converter has to be there, technically. But we don't have E Testing, or nearly the regulations on passenger vehicles.

The Banks diesel looks like a phenomenal swap. I'd love to have a diesel in my JK. Especially if I could still retain the manual transmission. I'm a big diesel fan, minus the price at the pumps. But, small potatoes if I only went there half as much. I can imagine that the price would be the biggest object though. Maybe some day.

Good luck JSS taking this on. I really wish you luck in building the Jeep that Chrysler should have.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I read over on another Jeep forum that the 14' GC diesel guys are getting 26-28mpg with ease. All of whom are getting that mileage within the first few hundred miles... I would expect them to gain more mpg's once the engine gets broken in. I'm sure you could achieve the same mpg's with the JK considering it's 1,200lbs lighter than the GC.

I bet the AEV guys will have a kit together in the next 12 months.

·
Vendor
1,251 Posts
Keep expectations real. I heard a rumor this powertrain will be close to $18k (could be a rough estimate), add labor and an install kit and your talking $30k to get it in a JK. Hope I'm wrong. This is more than a LS3 or 6.4 Hemi.

In stock trim the 4x4 GC Pentstar is rated at 24 mpg and the 3.0 diesel at 28 mpg. Factor in the cost of diesel fuel and there is not much fuel savings. The Pentstar has 290 HP vs the diesel's 240 and costs a lot less to purchase which should be factored into value for money. Modern 8 and 9 speed transmissions allow smaller engines to run more effectively in their power bands.

Fact is modern petrol engines have got much better and diesel's have been chocked down with emissions equipment which adds greatly to the cost of the vehicle and maintenance. I think the 3.0 VM would be in the mid 30's mpg if set free.

Also consider the availability of diesel fuel if you live or travel far from an Interstate; unlike Europe diesel is not as prolific in the US and can cost 20% more than petrol.

That being said I think a diesel JK would be great. I have high hopes for the GM baby Duramax if is ever released, since tuning will be easy and GM will produce large numbers of them driving the cost down. Plus it should have some level of interchangeability with the LS if used in the 1/2 ton trucks.

So to make sense in a JK the diesel engine must be affordable, tuneable, lightweight construction, have power on par with the petrol engine(I have customers in Europe and Australia disappointed with the 2.8 crd performance and cooling), and offer efficiencies over the petrol engine when it comes to range and cost of operation.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 23 Posts