JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm new to this forum. I've had my JK now for a little over 2 years. '08 JK Unlimited "X" 2WD model. Its all I could afford but its my second Jeep. Had a Cherokee previously. Love the JK other than a few minor complaints.

Anyway...got a few questions - please don't hate me cause its a 2WD ;) Its what I got so I gotta do with it what I can, so...

1. Would it be silly to add a 2" lift kit to a 2WD JK?
2. Would it be silly to add a winch to a 2WD JK?
3. How well does the limited slip rear work on a 2WD?

In other words, I cannot get a 4x4 right now, but want to do some light off road stuff with my kids, and want to get more clearance from stock and a winch for when I do, not if, I get her stuck.

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I wheeled with a guy a few times with a lifted 2WD JK and I gotta say, he impressed the hell out of me with what he could do with that thing.

Don't let the haters get you down. Lift it.. throw a winch on it and go out there and have some fun :beer:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
i dont see any reason not to do all the things us 4x4 folks do... just dont try to bury it too deep in the mud... like she said, dont let 2wd get you down, "Jeepin" is just as much a heart thing as it is anything... most important thing is having fun while your doing it!!!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Put that lift and winch on there. You might have to winch me out someday.
:laughing:

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
As long as you still wave back at me on the road all is good;):jeepwave::beer:
build it the way you want. You can always convert it to 4x4 in the future as $$$ permits.
That's basically what I was going to say. There are a couple of good build threads here about converting a 2wd if you ever decide to in the future. Otherwise get out there and enjoy what you've got...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

Thanks ya'll! Such positive feedback.

Anyone know how well the limited slip rear end on a 2WD works. I never really had to use it. Maybe I'll get a backup vehicle (aka - someone to pull me out of the mud) and go test it out...just to see what it will and will not handle.

Thanks again...I'll start picking out parts! Then break the news to the wife! HAHA

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
4x4 just makes you think you are invinceable anyway and you tend to get stuck more often. I always used to think this way (in self rescue mode), don't use the 4wd unless you need to become unstuck. LOL

You might not have the lower ratios to 'crawl' up stuff, so just be careful not to give it too much gas and be revving your engine and spinning your wheels to go up something (nina might chime in on that) but hells yeah- lift that sucker and put a winch on it and go have some fun.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
4x4 just makes you think you are invinceable anyway and you tend to get stuck more often. I always used to think this way (in self rescue mode), don't use the 4wd unless you need to become unstuck. LOL

You might not have the lower ratios to 'crawl' up stuff, so just be careful not to give it too much gas and be revving your engine and spinning your wheels to go up something (nina might chime in on that) but hells yeah- lift that sucker and put a winch on it and go have some fun.
ya know now that you mention it i always took my 2wd silverado mudding and never got stuck... with the 4x4 jeep i always get stuck lmao...

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
While that philosophy is either using 'self rescue' or 'don't get into something I shouldnt' type of thinking..if you do have 4x4 though, it's best to use it correctly on the trail and take advantage of the ratios it gives you. Its easier on the trails and easier on your rig.:beer:

I like this one:

Originally Posted by venom
A wise man once told me:

'bigger mud tires, lockers and lifts just mean you get stuck farther away from help."

So I bought a winch.

Thanks dad!

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Im sure you can find all the stock parts for a swap around here for cheap!
Grab a D30, a driveshaft (control arms?), and a t-case and youll be 4wd

·
Registered
643 Posts
Yeah, I agree with everything they ^^^^^ said. But...

and don't give me crap cuz you were all thinking it too...

make sure you skin is plenty thick! If I see a jacked up JK with a winch and mud tires and no diff in the front I'm going look at you funny. I'm not an ass and I'm not going to call you out, but I am going to notice. And while I won't say anything, many others may. Again, I agree a lift will help your performance a ton, and a winch will definitely help to mitigate any trouble you get into. With a little effort your rig will be very capable. I'm just sayin, be ready.

·
Registered
303 Posts
There was a guy with a "Prerunner" style running around here that I have not seen in quite some time. That Jeep was SICK! He did a ton of fab work and took it to the extereme I will say. Crazy coilover setup Geared way into the 5:'s and ran on 36" grapplers and has a sick blue faded to white paint job. Tastefully done with a radical baja flare including spare on the Roll bar.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts