JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

Not an owner yet but doing research on a 2017 Unlimited 4dr. It seems you can get the premium soft top for 595 or 3 piece Hard Top for 995. There is an additional Dual Top option for 2185. Why is there an additional cost of 595 compared to the individual prices of each respective top. ?

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I imagine that a portion of the cost of the top is built into the MSRP. What you're looking at is the balance of one or the other.

Pick one you think you'll like and go with it. Seems most folks end up running one or the other, rarely are they switching based on season.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Good advice above. I am one of the minority that uses both tops. My 2014 came with the hard top and I just picked up a factory soft top from craigslist.
It was used for about a month and put away. My soft top is even from a 2009 and bolted right up, no problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a premium soft top off craigslist and now I wish I didn't have the hard top. It's expensive and hard to find a place to store it. The premium soft top is worth it over the vinyl one.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
After owning a another convertible I honestly do not like the wrangler's soft top. Especially on an unlimited its a bit of a pain to put up and down.
While there are of course benefits of it over a hardtop, I went with the hardtop and do not regret it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
my 2016 came with Hard Top (delete credit for Soft Top). I have considered a fastback style softtop for Summer months, but last Summer I ended up just removing Hard Top for August and September. The sun was a bit blinding at first, so I picked up a spiderwebshade mesh top and that solved my issues. So I'm back burner'ing the idea of picking up a full Soft Top.

·
Registered
332 Posts
my 2016 came with Hard Top (delete credit for Soft Top). I have considered a fastback style softtop for Summer months, but last Summer I ended up just removing Hard Top for August and September. The sun was a bit blinding at first, so I picked up a spiderwebshade mesh top and that solved my issues. So I'm back burner'ing the idea of picking up a full Soft Top.
The only issue with the hard top is if you plan on driving anywhere far or overnight you have to leave the top off. Not like a soft top offers that much more security but I do think most of the vehicle break ins are due to the ease of it. I hear my local police departments every few months reminding residents to lock their cars because of a recent string of thefts. All were from unlocked vehicles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had a soft top on my first Rubicon and hated the way the top bellowed out while driving down the highway, also a pain in the ass to gain full access to the rear without having to unzip the rear window. Just purchased another Rubicon with hard top and love it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts