JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I’m seeking advice from some longtimers. This is my first Jeep (bought in Aug 2017). My Jeep has about 20k miles, but for the last 10k-12k I have heard a faint ticking noise from the passenger side of the engine. The first noise it ever made was one morning, cold morning, and having sat on an incline for 2 days. I started it and it had a very noticeable very loud tick. After I arrived at work the tick was gone and has not been that noticeable or loud since. But starting at the 8-10k miles I noticed it, but super faint in sound. I was parked rather close to another vehicle and you could hear the noise echoing off of it. Ever since then I have paid more attention and I hear it daily.

I have taken it to the dealership 2-3 times and every time they say it’s not the valve train and the noise is normal.

The more I read online and in forums I don’t think it is normal, but I could be wrong being this is the first Jeep I have owned.

I know the difference in injector noise (sewing machine-like) and ticking which is (tick tick tick..like a clock). Any help of advice would be greatly appreciated. I h e video/audio but couldn’t post it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
It could be exhaust related. Usually if you hear it bouncing of of a wall you most likely have an exhaust leak. Start it up cold and get under it and put your hand around the flanges at the front half of the jeep. I found the flange just ahead of the drivers seat loose on my jeep. I could only hear the tick next to a wall.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,175 Posts

Nothing should stop a member from pasting
a YouTube video share link into the body of a comment.
There are initial limits for images until you've posted at least 5-10 times iirc- but you should just copy/paste the link you ask about.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I tried but the YouTube sound quality was horrible due to the cooling fan running. Sounded like someone was vaccuming

1 - 5 of 5 Posts