JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My 2016 Wrangler has been on a lot of trails. I'm not sure if parking on the Navy Base where I work or all the flooded trails I've forded through has led to the rear bumper mount bolts, and the front bumper mount bolts to rust. Also some rust on the door hinge .. looks like from the door hinge pin. I sprayed WD40 on the bolts, took a towel to them to clean them up a bit, then soaked it with WD40.

It looks like the door hinge pins are not stainless steel. It appears that the rust color on the door hinge is from rust from the door pin.
I figured if I can clean up the hinge with some rubbing compound then next time I take the doors off I'll replace the door pins with a stainless steel door pin kit.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Every time I pull my doors I put a film of grease on the pins. I also run a rag through the female post of the hinge to remove the old dirt filled grease. They will not rust if they are lightly greased.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Next time you're near a boating supply store or go online to west marine and get a tube of Quicksilver 2-4-C. A light coat of that will keep the salty air corrosion at bay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try using either a copper based grease for the door pins or a lanolin based spray for the bolts. That should help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,179 Posts
^ that last sggtn hit it ; OP , get onboard the lanolin nation and become introduced to the marvels of FluidFilm . 3 cans after a thorough cleaning and you’ll not be worried or pestered by salty ocean air corrosion acceleration ever again. Look it up then buy some . I coat each of 3 Jeeps every Fall with the stuff & have literally nonrust on anything under the Jeeps. It’s the best .

:jeep2:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts