• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,

It's been a while since I've been active in the Jeep community. I lost my last rig over a year and a half ago to a head on collision with a Dodge Ram truck at 45 MPH which resulted in my rear axle being removed from the sleeve and left in the center of the intersection like a theater ball pole. There were no injuries other than my pride and the loss of my JKU which was totaled.

The missus and I are planning a family in the next year or so which means I'm going to ditch my last sports car, a Subaru BRZ, in favor of another JKU which brings me back to the forum. Man things have changes since my 2K8 Rubi.

I'm currently torn between a Willies and a Rubicon and am wondering what all you guys think. Is the Rubi worth the extra cost for the lockers and sway bar disconnects?

Here's where my heads at:

I qualify for Green Sheet pricing.
I don't want leather. Why leather was ever an option on a Wrangler I'll never know.
I'm on the fence with the 4:10's. I'm planning on running 35's and think I'd probably want those over the 3:37's but I'm not sure how much difference there is.
I think I'd like to get the Uconnect 430N with the Garmin GPS.
I never used the electronic swaybar disconnects on my old Rubi.

I'm open to thoughts and input. Let me have it guys!

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
Other than for installing my lift I never disconnected it. Never got myself into a situation that really needed it.
Then a rubicon would be overkill for you.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I'll throw this out there. If you're going to run 35's, get the Rubi and 4.10's. You'll hate the 35's and the 3.73.

Consider the resale value of the Rubicon over the Willies. Why pay extra for a bunch of Willies stickers?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I was kinda in the same boat on the fence about what to buy a little over a month ago. I had a 2007 Rubicon. I was looking at the Willy's and the Rubicon. I was trying to find one in stock to purchase and wanted Anvil. Well I had looked at Willy's and ended up getting a Rubicon. Wife is still not liking the Anvil Color but at least she has the auto she wanted. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My heads defiantly leaning towards the Rubi. It's justifying the price to myself that's the problem. And I get what you're saying about the decal pack.

I wish the Jeep website was more clear about what comes with what package. For example the "Premium Sound and Leather" package lists the Alpine speaker setup and heated seats but doesn't mention if those heated seats are leather or not, which I'm assuming they are.

Can you even GET a Rubi with cloth seats?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
My heads defiantly leaning towards the Rubi. It's justifying the price to myself that's the problem. And I get what you're saying about the decal pack.

I wish the Jeep website was more clear about what comes with what package. For example the "Premium Sound and Leather" package lists the Alpine speaker setup and heated seats but doesn't mention if those heated seats are leather or not, which I'm assuming they are.

Can you even GET a Rubi with cloth seats?
Rubi comes standard with cloth seats. The Rubicon Hard Rock (X) comes standard with leather.

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,651 Posts
You'd be amazed how nice it is to have heated leather in these things. Even nicer if you're out wheeling it and getting it dirty because the dirt wipes off and your buns stay toasty. LOL

That being said, the Willy's is missing everything that makes a Rubicon a Rubicon aside from the rock rails, tires, and wheels. The Willys package is just an appearance package and won't do anything for you for re-sale value or capability.

The Rubicon gets you:

D44 Front Axle
Lockers Front and Rear
Electronic Sway Bar
4:1 Transfer Case
Option for 4.10s but standard with 3.73s

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You'd be amazed how nice it is to have heated leather in these things. Even nicer if you're out wheeling it and getting it dirty because the dirt wipes off and your buns stay toasty. LOL

That being said, the Willy's is missing everything that makes a Rubicon a Rubicon aside from the rock rails, tires, and wheels. The Willys package is just an appearance package and won't do anything for you for re-sale value or capability.

The Rubicon gets you:

D44 Front Axle
Lockers Front and Rear
Electronic Sway Bar
4:1 Transfer Case
Option for 4.10s but standard with 3.73s
That's kind of what I was expecting. I still HATE the changes to the interior and prefer the first gen JK's interior, but I'm learning to live with it. They've made it more "car like" thank I care for. But with my Green Sheet pricing it makes buying a used JK a money looser for me, and the newer engine is vastly superior to the old 3.8L. The 3.8L was a dog even with my Flashpaq.

Having had the vinyl seats in two YJ's I've learned my lesson about convertibles and non-cloth seating. I got tired of carrying around towels to keep from burning myself and my wife.

It's definatly looking like the Rubi is going to be my choice. The Sahara is to "upscale" for me, and the Sport is way stripped down.

·
Registered
528 Posts
My leather heated seats rock...wipe the dirt off and they look brand new. My buddies cloth seats have a ton of collected dirt buried in them. Take that for what its worth. Pretty sure cowboys had leather saddles not cloth, just sayin. If you never used swaybar disconnect then i doubt you need 35s or lockers to get where you wanna go.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi Gang,

It's been a while since I've been active in the Jeep community. I lost my last rig over a year and a half ago to a head on collision with a Dodge Ram truck at 45 MPH which resulted in my rear axle being removed from the sleeve and left in the center of the intersection like a theater ball pole. There were no injuries other than my pride and the loss of my JKU which was totaled.

The missus and I are planning a family in the next year or so which means I'm going to ditch my last sports car, a Subaru BRZ, in favor of another JKU which brings me back to the forum. Man things have changes since my 2K8 Rubi.

I'm currently torn between a Willies and a Rubicon and am wondering what all you guys think. Is the Rubi worth the extra cost for the lockers and sway bar disconnects?

Here's where my heads at:

I qualify for Green Sheet pricing.
I don't want leather. Why leather was ever an option on a Wrangler I'll never know.
I'm on the fence with the 4:10's. I'm planning on running 35's and think I'd probably want those over the 3:37's but I'm not sure how much difference there is.
Leather is the only thing I regret not getting. The cloth seats suck in every possible way.
Edit for perspective: The only options I got on my Rubi when I ordered it were 4.10s and Auto.

Also, get the 4.10s. I can't think of any reason not to, other than maybe 2 MPG. But if you're talking about 35s you probably don't (shouldn't) care about MPG.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am still stuck at why you never used your disconnects....they are not just for "situations" If I leave the asphalt my tires are at 10lbs and front is diconnected. The ride offroad is like a pillow and takes unneeded stress off other parts on the rig. All that said buy the Rubicon...as stated resale,and lockers. Also 35's really put a bunch of stress on a standard dana 30.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I am still stuck at why you never used your disconnects....they are not just for "situations" If I leave the asphalt my tires are at 10lbs and front is diconnected. The ride offroad is like a pillow and takes unneeded stress off other parts on the rig. All that said buy the Rubicon...as stated resale,and lockers. Also 35's really put a bunch of stress on a standard dana 30.
Based on the lack of disconnecting the swaybar, I would say its safe to assume he doesnt "need" 35's or lockers or the swaybar disconnect of a rubicon. And the willys is nothing more than a glorified sport so therefore he should save his coin and get a sport, throw some take off rubicon tires on it and have fun.

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
Buy a 2 wheel drive model and build it yourself........and then add some rubi stickers. :thefinger:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow man, so much hate. What up with that? :flame:

My last rig is pretty much what you see in my sig. A 2008 JKU Rubicon with Dana 44's and 4:10s. I ran a 2.5" TF lift on it w/ shock extenders and 35" Goodyear Duratrac's. I mostly drove through deep snow and water which is why I wanted the ground clearance, it also helped a bit with approach and departure angles.

I never used the disconnect as I never found time to make it out to Moab or Ouray where I'd NEED it. I'm getting a sense that because I didn't use them you all think she was a pavement princess.

I guess I didn't realize the Willies was nothing by a JKU Sport w/ a few stickers. I assumed it was an options package that made most of the off road essentials standard. I realize now it's not any different from the MW3 or COD versions that have come out over the years.

Right now here's what I'm thinking if any of you are still taking me seriously.

2015 JKU Rubicon in Tank green w/ Black cloth interior.
Interior Options
- 430N Navigation System
- Heated Front Seats
- Alpine 9 Speaker System
Exterior Options
- Freedom Top - Black 3 Piece
Powertrain Options
- 4.10 Gears
- 5 Speed Auto
Packages
- Connectivity Group
- Max Tow Package

I'm on the fence about the Max Tow package as it doesn't seem to come with a transmission cooler like I THINK mine did and instead is just a Class II hitch.

Any thoughts on this build?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Wow man, so much hate. What up with that? :flame:

My last rig is pretty much what you see in my sig. A 2008 JKU Rubicon with Dana 44's and 4:10s. I ran a 2.5" TF lift on it w/ shock extenders and 35" Goodyear Duratrac's. I mostly drove through deep snow and water which is why I wanted the ground clearance, it also helped a bit with approach and departure angles.

I never used the disconnect as I never found time to make it out to Moab or Ouray where I'd NEED it. I'm getting a sense that because I didn't use them you all think she was a pavement princess.

I guess I didn't realize the Willies was nothing by a JKU Sport w/ a few stickers. I assumed it was an options package that made most of the off road essentials standard. I realize now it's not any different from the MW3 or COD versions that have come out over the years.

Right now here's what I'm thinking if any of you are still taking me seriously.

2015 JKU Rubicon in Tank green w/ Black cloth interior.
Interior Options
- 430N Navigation System
- Heated Front Seats
- Alpine 9 Speaker System
Exterior Options
- Freedom Top - Black 3 Piece
Powertrain Options
- 4.10 Gears
- 5 Speed Auto
Packages
- Connectivity Group
- Max Tow Package

I'm on the fence about the Max Tow package as it doesn't seem to come with a transmission cooler like I THINK mine did and instead is just a Class II hitch.

Any thoughts on this build?
I dont think anyone is hating on you, just being brutally honest with you.

Anytime you are OFFROAD you should disconnect the swaybar to keep all 4 tires firmly planted on the ground just in case you get into a sticky situation, especially in snow I would think where you might wonder upon a hole you didnt even know was there.

Actually I think the COD ones were Rubicons with a few extra stickers/bumpers. The willy's on the other hand is merely stickers and useless doodads!

My 2014 tow package came with a transmission coooler, but I can't speak for the 2015, I would crawl under one at a dealer to confirm, if not, then its a waste of $500 cause the wiring/hitch are cheap and easy to source on amazon. Adding tranny coolers is a much larger task I was willing to pay $500 for.

I also got the 730n radio...what a waste of $1800 that POS was...the bluetooth is nice (can get that on the cheaper radio)...the offroad function of the nav is useless as tits on a boar hog!!!

Youll love the 4.10's with 35's, I honeslty think this engine/tranny/4.10s could pull 37's ok if you dont really do any towing. However I tow a 3,500 lb bass boat so I stopped at 35's, promised the wife I wouldnt get into gear swaps and hydro assist. I love the power of mine with 35's, can barely tell a difference between the stock tires and these.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts