JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello! Could I get some help identifying this noise please? When the engine is cold it is completely quiet, as it warms up though it starts to make this noise. I originally thought that it was the rockers/lifters but it is not. I opened up both valve covers and everything was tight and good. I still replaced all the rockers/lifters just to be safe. The noise is still there and didn't get any better or worse. The inside of the engine is SUPER clean. Oil pressure is perfect and NO codes. According to Carfax it has had 20+ oil changes over the past 6 years. I'm afraid that it is a rod bearing but not sure. The noise is definitely on the bottom end of the engine. I tried a Penzoil 5w-30 synthetic to see if that would make any difference but it did not. The Jeep has 86,000 miles. Please let me know what you think. Thank you for any input that you can provide.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. It is rod knock. I bought the Jeep used and it was in a single car accident that cracked the oil pan. I'm assuming that it ran low on oil. I have already taken off the oil pan and opened up a couple of the rod bearing caps. 1 was pretty bad but not spun. The other looked pretty good. I'm going to replace all the bearings, use 2000 grit sandpaper on the crank and pray for a miracle. The crank so far looks pretty good. I sanded the first one down and it looks like new again. Obviously not the preferred option but we will see what happens. I just need to buy some time before I replace the engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts