JKOwners Forum banner

2013 radio upgrade questions

3K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  RMY 
#1 · (Edited)
hey everyone, my 430n quit on me, well the gps quit, so I bought a kenwood dmx7706s to replace it, now my problem is wiring the thing in, what wiring harness do I need, I've replaced radios before but none with the canbus.

any help will be appreciated, also how do I access the onboard amp and subwoofer?

feeling lonely in the Jeep without music

found the right part, now looking for trim pieces

#2 ·
ok, so I've found some trim panels online, all come from the states, I'm in Canada, found one for 14$ but 35$ shipping, gonna have to wait until Monday to look at my local Jeep dealer, they are closed on weekends :frown2:

hopefully it won't cost an arm and a leg for 2 little plastic pieces

#3 ·
Build the system with the radio you bought on Crutchfield. That will help you determine what you need. Found their prices for harnesses and other things in line with amazon and other retailers. That’s the route I went with the Alpine ILX-107 I got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#6 ·
RMY,

I installed the same head unit last fall. I love it and have one in my Tahoe as well. However the fit in the JK is not good. What dash kit did you use? I have tried Metra's and another brand. Neither fits well. Ther are gaps all around the screen. I feel like the kits I got are made for the 2007-2011 dash, but they all say 2007-2018. Has anyone else run into this problem?

#11 ·
Make sure to use Locktite on the side screws holding the dash kit onto the radio. Had to open up my dash recently tighten up.
Also, I had to trim the metal OEM bracket so the head unit would angle up a bit more. I also used some washers behind the lower screw holes of the dash kit to help make flush.

#15 ·
It’s not apart right now. It’s been together for about 7 months but it bothers me that is doesn’t look right. It may be a few weeks before I pull it apart, it’s going in for a regear Tuesday and then the lift is going on the following week. I’ll send a picture when I get it apart...just may be a little while.
Thank you again for your help!

#16 ·
JDE22,
Did you install the parking brake bypass switch? If did not, you definitely should. Don’t have to double set the parking brake and you can access the settings on the roll.

Autoleads - Parking Brake Bypass Module For Video Lockout And In-Motion Activation; Works With Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood Radios, And More Amazon.com: Autoleads - Parking Brake Bypass Module For Video Lockout And In-Motion Activation; Works With Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood Radios, And More: Car Electronics

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.