JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at the JKU's for the last couple of years. I have a 2006 LJ that I use for wheeling, but it is a little tight for the wife, two kids, and me. Back in December I decided it was time to sell our family wagon, a 2009 3/4 Suburban. We placed an order for a 2013 JKU Rubicon. The JKU came in last week.

This will truly be a mall crawler with occasional trail use for now. However, I never seem to stick with the plan and usually go overboard. Lets see how long the mall crawler status will hold.

The 2013.

· Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My plans for the JKU is to do minor things to set it up for future hard wheeling. That way it keeps it street manors for now, but can go in a different direction later without redoing mods.

I'll focus on bumper, skids, and drivetrain upgrades so I can wheel it on mild trails with the stock suspension for now. This way it will be ready for lift and larger tires in the future.

· Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To keep with the mall crawler theme, I installed the Hothead Headliner to help with noise during family road trips as well as the Houston heat. I think you can even see part of car seat in one of the pictures.

· Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I started the CB install this morning by installing the Cooltech license plate antenna mount. I'm thinking about switching out the 4' antenna for a 3' antenna to clear the garage door and other parking garages. Also installed the Cooltech Versamount2. The Cobra 75 will hang nicely on this bracket. I have something similar in my LJ.

· Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ordered front and rear (without tire carrier) Poison Spyder bumpers. A Warn Zeon 10 winch is also on the way. I have a Viking line and thimble to go with the winch.

The front bumper showed up on Friday. The winch and rear bumper should be here on Wednesday evening.

· Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That is the start of the build. Not bad for the first week of having the Jeep.

I'll focus on underside armor next. I like the new Nemesis skids, but will have to wait as they are $$$. I have the Savvy aluminum skids on my LJ and have worked great. I am a converted believer in aluminum with the weight savings.

I am also looking at the Nemesis billy rocker kit to replace the Rubicon sliders.

I'm sure RCV's, an Artec truss, and Ten factory rears will be in the near future.

· JKO Dickhead
3,526 Posts
Nice ...

Nice LJ - and good start to the build. You will like that long wheelbase if your a LJ guy !

· Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Good start to the build big fan of the color. The LJ looks nice too.

· Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When installing the winch line, I received a call from the powder coater. The rear bumper is ready so I started by pulling the factory rear bumper. I'll pick it up tomorrow morning.

· Registered
3,175 Posts
Looking good.

BTW, someone needs to come out with some Hyline style fenders for the JK. I love the look on Tjs, would be even better on JK :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.